Open letter for revive LOOL, add your +1 if you agree

We, the undersigned, would like to express our great concern regarding the definitive closure of the repository of what was LibreOffice Online. Considering the mission of facilitating access to information and communication technologies as a fundamental and strategic achievement of inclusion and exercise of digital sovereignty.

As a foundation committed to eliminating the digital divide in society by giving everyone free access to office productivity tools, the most important thing is to demonstrate that we are committed to offering alternatives to all those individuals and organizations that lack the resources to hire corporate services.

We intend with this message, an absolute rethinking of the vote that established the current condition of the repository, which belongs to the community and should welcome improvements from all over the community, as we consider it goes against the objectives outlined by The Document Foundation.

To avoid the process of atticization, as the clock is already ticking, and, at the same time, emphasize the global nature of the foundation we urge full consideration of the two proposals that have been made so far.

Support Andreas Mantke’s effort to revive the LOOL project. Who has already succeeded in upgrading the pre-fork code base to current libraries and dependencies versions. (https://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/board-discuss/2022/msg00684.html)
Implement the OxOffice On Line Community Version fork that already has several improvements before the LOOL version has been frozen, including those implemented in the commercial versions, and bugs fixed by them as they see fit. (https://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/board-discuss/2022/msg00694.html)

In any case, since this is a community version TDF must show its commitment to its core values and do everything in their power to grow LOOL community in order to continue development.

Sincerely yours, LibreOffice Community Members and Activists around the world.

I totally agree

+1

+1

Daniel A. Rodriguez <drodriguez@libreoffice.org> 於 2022年7月11日 週一 04:44 寫道:

I support this statement wholeheartedly and will contribute personal time and effort to making it happen.

Adolfo

I already expressed my opinion in the other thread. Here is my +1.

-1

LOOL is just a UI flavor to me. It's nothing without the core and provides just one way to interact with the application (admittedly some special handling which might be important for many).

I understand COOL (and any other implementations) as a win-win situation for TDF. If LibreOffice was even more focused on the core application, with for example a generic filter for MS Office and the opportunity to replace it with some always 100%-compatible alternative, the majority of users is still provided with a great office suite and the best document format - free of charge, open source, localized in all tongues... By making an application easy to extend we allow the ecosystem to grow, attract professional developers to work on the application, and (hopefully) make the application more stable (in fact, the expandability comes on some costs first).

Collabora offers a free (yet unsupported) version for those who rely on browser interaction. From my experience it requires some expertise to set-up the environment and it is not suited for individuals anyway. Small and mid size companies should afford the IT administration and the subscription which includes support.

Keep also in mind that LOOL has not received any major code contribution and is now way behind COOL.

PS: I wonder who is addressed by the open letter and the request to vote. Please don't undermine the responsibility of the board. On the other hand, I appreciate to ask the community for opinions and take it as such.

My ha'penneth below.

Surely, the point of TDF is/was to foster community driven contributions by all ?

If a languishing codebase was already there, and people are now prepared to update it and have a go at making something of it, shouldn't TDF be seen to be supporting such an initiative ?

Reversing the decision to atticize LOOL would not be contrary to that aim, or am I missing something ?

Alex

+1