Drafting Tender "Look-ahead styleref field for Writer"

Hello,

one of the approved [1] tenders is the

Tender "Look-ahead styleref field for Writer"

The board would like to work together in public with all of you on this tender before it gets officially published. The current draft is therefore shared at

https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/oTfqc3GjtzcEGPF

The board is happy to get your feedback and proposals. We'd like to discuss this ideally in the board call after next, i.e. on Monday, May 16, at 1800 Berlin time. Please send your feedback to the public board-discuss@documentfoundation.org mailing list. Thanks a lot to all community members involved for working on the tender draft!

Looking forward to your feedback,

Xisco

[1] https://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/board-discuss/2022/msg00400.html

Hi Xisco,

I want to avoid that the implementation is done in a way that the new element only works with OOXML documents. This would be the case, for example, if the implementation only works when an "InteropGrabBag" is used. Therefore I suggest to include the ODF format explicitly in the call text. For example something like this:

The implementation of a "STYLEREF field" has to include saving and loading the information in ODF-format.
ODF has currently no way to represent the information as given by a STYLEREF field in OOXML 17.16.5.59. Therefore it belongs to the task to help to extend the ODF standard so that Steps 1. to 6. in https://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/ProposalTemplate%20ODF%201.4 are finished.
In case the ODF TC does not respond as quickly to individual steps as the implementation progresses, at least all parts of these steps that are also possible without the ODF TC must be performed. This includes, in particular, the designation of a contact person, the completion of the template given on the above mentioned Wiki website as far as possible, and the provision of a test document in ODF format.

Kind regards,
Regina

Hi Regina,

Thanks for the input.

The original idea has a cost estimate of 1.5 weeks [1]. Do you know how much would it take to extend it to ODF ?

Regards

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Budget2022#Look-ahead_styleref_field_for_Writer

Hi Xisco,

Hi Regina,

Thanks for the input.

The original idea has a cost estimate of 1.5 weeks [1]. Do you know how much would it take to extend it to ODF ?

No idea. I do coding for LibreOffice and working in the OASIS TC as hobby. I don't look at how long something takes.

I thought, ODF is the basic file format for LibreOffice. So I expect, that writing in 'ODF extended' format is included in the tender anyway. But it might not be clear to all bidders.

Miklos has already cooperated with the ODF TC when implementing "Gutter". Perhaps he can tell how large is the additional effort. For an implementer it is much easier to write down the needed info for the OASIS TC than for someone else.

If writing in 'ODF extended' format was originally not intended, that would need a principle discussion in the board about supporting ODF.

Kind regards,
Regina

Sounds sensible to me =) of course, the ball-parks are very often done quite quickly finger-in-the-air things not a hard and fast rule - estimation can be expensive.

  I'd suggest just including Regina's ODF bits into the spec. seeing what comes out of the tender price-wise; I particularly like your text Regina about not having to block on the ODF TC. That could prolly be helpfully tweaked to require only a single "reasonable" implementation of this for the ODF filter.

  ATB,

    Michael.

Hi,

Miklos has already cooperated with the ODF TC when implementing "Gutter".
Perhaps he can tell how large is the additional effort. For an implementer
it is much easier to write down the needed info for the OASIS TC than for
someone else.

I haven't tried filling out that newer "proposal template", but just
writing up the usual information needed for an OASIS issue +
implementing ODF import + export is perhaps half a week of work.

So If you increase the scope and adapt the time to 2 weeks, it could
work.

Regards,

Miklos

Hi Regina,

The implementation of a "STYLEREF field" has to include saving and loading the information in ODF-format.
ODF has currently no way to represent the information as given by a STYLEREF field in OOXML 17.16.5.59. Therefore it belongs to the task to help to extend the ODF standard so that Steps 1. to 6. in https://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/ProposalTemplate%20ODF%201.4 are finished.
In case the ODF TC does not respond as quickly to individual steps as the implementation progresses, at least all parts of these steps that are also possible without the ODF TC must be performed. This includes, in particular, the designation of a contact person, the completion of the template given on the above mentioned Wiki website as far as possible, and the provision of a test document in ODF format.

I've just added this paragraph to the draft. Thanks