Translation as part of the attic policy

Hi Thorsten, Emiliano, all

I'm very sorry to be so late at commenting on this, I was focused on code and did realized this week that either translation and documentation were concerned together with code.
In the l10n world, it often happens that the team is composed of one or two contributors at most (FR translation is one example where JBF takes care of UI and me of Help files).
In this same world, it often happens that l10n is stalled for some years, because it's a huge work, needing a lot of investment that you can't always offer for a long time. For example, the Thai l10n team who just revived after some years of break, and from what I can tell the team is one, at best two. Seeing a project with read lines in Weblate is highly motivating and the best showcase we can have.
Would that mean that each time a l10n team resign for whatever reason (UK currently in my mind and heart), it will be atticized and need at least 3 contributors who use something else than Weblate to demonstrate their contributions to be accepted again in the LO community?
I fear it's a really high price to pay unless I misunderstand something.
Cheers
Sophie

Hi Sophie,

sophi wrote:

Would that mean that each time a l10n team resign for whatever reason (UK
currently in my mind and heart), it will be atticized and need at least 3
contributors who use something else than Weblate to demonstrate their
contributions to be accepted again in the LO community?

Can't speak for the board, but at least my own idea of the attic
proposal was - it is entirely focused on code.

The l10n project always had their own rules when to include or retire
a language (percentage of strings translated), and refined that over
the years. My take would be, to let the project continue to
self-govern there.

[beyond that, the attic process has a git repo as the smallest
artifact to turn read-only. So technically, we can't simply atticize a
language, which are subdirectories in the helpcontent2 and translation
git repositories]

Cheers,

-- Thorsten

Hi all,

I guess that the definition of what goes in the "attic" needs to be reviewed:

"The “attic” is a special area of TDF's infrastructure where part of
the code/documentation/translations, which is not being actively
developed, can be stored."

So should "/documentation/translations," be removed from there it the original meaning was to deal only with code?

Ciao

Paolo

Hi Sophie,