Hi Andreas! Hi Sophie!

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 8:55 AM Andreas Mantke <maand@gmx.de> wrote:

Hi,

Am 14.01.22 um 19:14 schrieb Simon Phipps:

If TDF is to satisfy its mission this has to stop. The new Board has a
huge opportunity and responsibility to put all this behind them and
lead positively. It must shun divisiveness and seek ways to rekindle
solidarity by emphasizing equality and promoting freedom. This will
not be done treating the motivations of some participants as suspect!
In fact almost everyone is pursuing an "interest", almost by
definition in a collaborative community!

Sure, without following an interest you wouldn't participate and invest
your live time in that community.

But at least if you are a member of a charity's body you need to be open
and transparent about such interests and rethink, if following them
foster the objectives of the organization. If following your interest
(commercial or non-commercial) is in opposite to that, a member of the
body has to put his interest last. If she / he is not able to follow
such rule, she / he shouldn't reconsider his membership, because
otherwise she / he most probably will get very soon into the situation
to violate her / his duty as a member of the body.

In short: if you wear to hats (TDF / personal interest) you as a member
of a body has to wear the TDF hat in the first place.

I absolutely agree with you, Andreas. I especially agree with your
observation above that vested interests can be of various kinds, not just
commercial. I believe that's an area that needs attention, as most people
at TDF have a link with a community, political campaign, job, career
reputation or company (and so on) that could make them act in a way that
prioritises their interest over the charity.