Paolo Vecchi wrote:
So, to conclude, this "distraction" has actually helped the board in dealing
with a situation which impaired its freedom to act in a well informed and
structured way and created a new situation where, thanks to important and in
some cases overdue work done by the board during this term, we know where we
stand, we know that we can do a lot more that some thought we could and we
can finally move forward and do more good things for the community.

I have a hard time reconciling the objective loss of a quite important
project at TDF, with the above paragraph.

Whatever the reasons (perhaps it was inexperience), the board managed
to alienate an important corporate ecosystem member enough that they
left with their project.

I would really like to stop looking at the past now, and instead see
how we all together can shape the future - with some impact.

That means, keeping as many existing contribution, while attracting &
growing more contributors in green fields (where there are plenty!).

Personally, I'm not interested in playing zero-sum games (taking
development away from the ecosystem, and re-patriating it into
TDF). Instead, we need to work much more on creating win-win setups,
and supplementing each other.

There's definitely things that TDF can do much better than any
ecosystem company. There's also definitely things that ecosystem
companies are likely better suited for, than TDF. The same is true for
our volunteer community (which is BTW not the same as TDF, the
foundation!). In the past, we've been envied for actually striking a
nice balance, and complementing each other.

One obvious area where there's very little commercial incentive to do
things is a11y. At the same time, that would be something very
charitable to fund & further! If there's budget for funding internal
development, a11y would be very high on my list of topics to focus on.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten