Hi Michael, all,
Le 13/01/2022 à 18:44, Michael Meeks a écrit :
Hi Marco,

[...]

    I also agree with Thorsten that the stories about achieving
market dominance during the COVID crisis with this approach are
impossibly naive. From a hardware provision perspective alone - being
backed by a giant monopoly (which we are not), really helps to front
the Eur 10's of millions of infrastructure cost needed to provide a
large-scale free service. Also - I expect that selling users' private
data or insights gleaned from it (something TDF would never do) also
gives a significant cost edge against us.

On my point of view, it was not about achieving market dominance but
about solidarity. And TDF has failed here, again on my point of view.
When I see what Framasoft (an association with 35 contributors and 10
employees) has been able to achieve during these days/years, I feel sad
that we were not part of this framework. See the CHATONS initiative
which has played an incredible role for teachers, students, families and
even in the health field by helping doctors, during the lockdown periods:
https://www.chatons.org/en

If I read through this article detailing what they have done during 2020,
https://framablog.org/2020/12/08/review-of-framasofts-actions-in-2020-excluding-the-lockdown-period/

I don't read only about products, but about sharing, empowering of
people, solidarity and creativity, all in the FLOSS spirit. TDF for me
is not only hosting a product, but has a culture, has a knowledge, has a
lot of creative people around, meaning we have a lot of resources, but
we have done nothing to share them during the critical period families
and students were fronting.

Cheers
Sophie