Draft text: an "attic" proposal

Dear board, dear TDF members, all,

this proposal has sparked interesting discussions, that we should
continue. For the proposal at hand though, we've not received much if
any actionable feedback.

So I'd like to call for a vote soon, unless there's concrete input for
edits. Let's give this two more days.

All the best, Thorsten

I wrote:

Hi *,

quick comment on the below -

Paolo Vecchi wrote:

Very brief summary of the events:

Back in March 2020, other new board members and I, started making enquiries
in regards to why we weren't making available an up to date LOOL to the
community. We were clearly "advertising" LOOL on the website but it wasn't
in a easily usable state and I strongly believed we had to do our part to
help e.g. schools and non-profits coping with remote working when the
pandemic started hitting hard. After all, TDF has been created for the
public benefit, and in this new situation with the lockdown, what would have
been more beneficial to the general public than to support pupils, students,
volunteers in nonprofits by providing a platform and sharing our knowledge,
based on Free and Open Source Software? This would have allowed our
Foundation and us, as citizens, to perform our civic duty to help and it
would also have had a positive marketing effect for the members of the
ecosystem. Unfortunately that opportunity is now lost, mostly in favor of
proprietary vendors which just consolidate their position. It's sad. It's a
lost opportunity for TDF and for the ecosystem.

I agree it's an opportunity lost. In many ways indeed - losing
LibreOffice Online's active developer base was not inevitable. That it
did happen in the end, after many people tried to solve the brewing
conflict, was to a considerable degree caused by part of the board
persistently threatening with unilateral action.

In terms of helping schools and non-profits, many things did happen (I
know for certain that Free Software, including LibreOffice, gained
noticeable user traction here in Germany). Regarding LibreOffice
Online though, that wouldn't have been something that TDF could have
hosted ourselves for the world at large. Implying then, that if only
TDF had offered free downloads of the server RPMs, we would have
managed to significantly dent the market share of the integrated cloud
vendors - seems to be quite naive to me.

I'd like to now decouple this discussion from the thread topic (which
is about a general attic process). If there's a need for further
discussion (I'd _much_ prefer forward-looking debates, rather than
re-litigating the past!), please all, start a new thread, and I'll
answer there.

All the best,

-- Thorsten

Hi Cor,

It's easy to spend a lot of words that do not give a single insight on
the question if your proposed changes are respecting the boards duty to
foster a sustainable meritocratic community.

while the comment doesn't add much to the debate of the "attic" proposal and seems to completely ignore the actual actions I and others have taken, not just proposed, it is an opportunity to provide my point of view on selected words from the Preamble of our Statutes that, IMHO, have been a bit abused and that has been bothering me for a while.

Too many times I've seen these 3 words "sustainable meritocratic community" being extrapolated from its context and mostly implying to mean "the economical sustainability of major code contributors".

It is obvious to all that developers are essential for the project as are all the great people that dedicate their time to translate, document, promote LibreOffice and also those that just use it for free without contributing back much as it shows we do something useful for millions of people.

The vast majority of people invest their spare time to make LibreOffice great for all but then there are also tasks that could be too complex for individuals or small group of volunteers to take on and that's why we have to tender out some of those tasks while, hopefully, in a near future we will have some of those tasks taken care of by internal developers funded by our supporter's donations.

As clearly expressed in the closing remarks of my previous email(1) TDF has objectives:

"The objective of the foundation is the promotion and development of office software available for use by anyone free of charge."

and (to mention it in full)

"The foundation promotes a sustainable, independent and meritocratic community for the international development of free and open source software based on open standards."

Those objectives should be pursued independently of the preferences of the members of the commercial ecosystem, which as independent entities are free to choose their business model and to contribute the way they can, while supporting the visibility (MarCom is a good example) of those contributors bringing value to the community (not only in terms of code) to allow them to prosper and contribute back to the project.

There are many individuals and organisations which independently created their own business models to help with development of LibreOffice, support deployments, train users and publish books. Some of them are listed on our "professional support" page, many could be totally unknown to us, and that's another area where we should further extend our MarCom plans.

AFAIK organisations delivering LibreOffice training haven't complained that we are making things too easy for users thus reducing their business opportunities as none of the publishers of books/manuals of LibreOffice complained that our documentation is so good that we make it difficult for them to find buyers for their books.

So I guess TDF is already fostering a "sustainable, independent and meritocratic community" but it's also at the beginning of a journey that, through actions like the MarCom plan and other initiatives that have been proposed, is extending the reach and support to our global community in all areas where our help is seen as necessary and useful to achieve our common objectives.

Having clarified my point of view with the above I hope we can now get back to evaluating if a way forward for LOOL can be found.

Ciao

Paolo

(1) https://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/board-discuss/2022/msg00029.html

Hi Paolo,

Hi Andreas,

(...)

I'm for some reasons currently not a member of TDF's bodies anymore. I'm
not involved in any tasks here anymore. I use my available spare time
for volunteer work in other environments yet.

As you are investing your time to send us your opinion may as well be
a member so that you could participate by expressing your vote and
improve things if you don't like what you see.

I worked over 16 years for TDF/LibreOffice and its ancestor. I did a lot
of work in different areas of the OSS project during my spare time. But
if you do unpaid volunteer work you need some honest appreciation for
that. And I missed that, at least during the last period working for the
project. Thus I decided to make the necessary cut.

True that we all have limited amount of time to dedicate to the many
projects that we would like to support, I have chosen to dedicate my
time to TDF and the LibreOffice community as I believe, among other
reasons, it's one of the projects that needs to be strong and present
to reduce the dependence most have on monopolistic platforms.

But if I look at the situation around LOOL/COOL I got the impression
that it moves into a dominant market position of one player. Thus an
organization/corporation etc. will investigate if there are enough pros
to change over from one vendor (with lock in) to another vendor (with
also a dominant market position).

We are getting there but we need everyone's help including you.

Currently my spare time is completely used. I committed myself to a new
volunteer mission. And it is exiting to drive things forward in that
area. (my day has only 24 hours too ;-))

Regards,
Andreas

Hi all,

I would wait for an eventual vote until a few weeks after FOSDEM just in case more questions and/or interest about the future of LOOL come up.

That would also allow time to evaluate how an eventual "de-atticisation" or support for any additional project should be managed to avoid a repeat of this type of forks.

Any project benefiting from TDF's infra and brand should be bound, at least, to a backporting agreement during a minimum period of time (1 year?) especially if it becomes clear that a single team/organisation is mostly contributing.

That would show that the organisation cares about the LibreOffice community and gives enough time to evaluate if TDF should further invest in the project in terms of developers, marketing, etc.

This agreement, to be drafted by our legal team in collaboration with TDF's counsel, should be added to the proposal before voting as it should be part of the on-boarding process for projects we intend to support.

The agreement should not be an extremely long and complex legal document, which in some cases could be very difficult to enforce, but at least should also clarify the expectations from both parties and make it clear to the contributors what TDF's objectives are so that there will be no surprises for anyone.

Once that is in place I would agree to vote for the proposal.

Ciao

Paolo

Hi Paolo,

Paolo Vecchi wrote:

I would wait for an eventual vote until a few weeks after FOSDEM just in
case more questions and/or interest about the future of LOOL come up.

The attic proposal is only incidentally related to LibreOffice
Online. Do you have concrete suggestions on changing the actual
proposal?

This agreement, to be drafted by our legal team in collaboration with TDF's
counsel, should be added to the proposal before voting as it should be part
of the on-boarding process for projects we intend to support.

I very strongly suggest to *not* make that mandatory for every kind of
project we'd be interested in adopting. It would otherwise completely
kill the onboarding of that kind of small-but-useful tools we've taken
up in the years past (cppunit, libcmis, odf toolkit etc).

No volunteer in her right mind would sign binding, legal agreements of
that kind.

Instead, it can be left to the discretion of the board to ask for more
formal commitments, if it sees a need.

Best,

-- Thorsten

Hi Thorsten, Emiliano, all,

thanks for the reminder Thorsten, as the discussion goes on in different areas of using this status of attic, my feedback is more on the procedural aspect of it.

It says, Quote:
" …
snip

Atticization process

That proposal will have to be
voted on successfully by both the ESC and the Board of Directors.
snipp

snipp

De-atticization procedure

If the vote turns out affirmative, the implementation part will be
handed over to Infra team, which can, based on common sense:
snipp

" End of Quote

Both sentences imply that the ESC have in praxis a blocking veto, independent of the decision by a board, for both procedures.
First of all let me ask, if this was intended and is a correct understanding or if I understood it wrong?

So, in case I understood it right, then

  • in reflecting our Statutes and RoP and its construction of the foundation, that the “last” ruling body is the board in an appropriate case of conflict and if needed in supervision of the meritocratic organisation* -
    I would propose to add for a better understanding:

"The last and ruling decision for the Atticization or De-atticization of a project in TDF is certainly by the board. If it is in contradiction to a preliminary vote of the ESC, it should be at least heard by the board for its arguments and it should be reflected from the board with an answer why the decision of the board is not following the ESC vote. "

Or something like this. I am not sure if it is good to vote on it without clarification of this item in any case. What do you think?

Best
Lothar

  • beside some very seldom things where the MC or at last the membership comes into the game, but here we are upon normal activities inside the foundation