Board elections: questions to the candidate Ayhan Yalçınsoy

Dear candidate,

Now that the nomination phase is ended and we still have some more days before the start of the voting phase, as previously announced[0], we would like to ask you some questions about your views and intentions regarding The Document Foundation and your plans as potential director of the entity. While replying to this email, please ensure to keep all the recipients in copy.

1. Do you commit yourself to have enough time and the necessary technological tools in order to participate to the regularly scheduled board calls?

2. Do you commit yourself to follow up and work on (at least) the main items and actions you will volunteer to oversee or that will be assigned to you by the board?

3. What is your willingness to delegate decisions, especially in lack of time?

4. What are your views on the foundation's budget? How should the money be spent, besides our fixed costs?

5. Should we work towards broadening our pool of contributors, both technical and non-technical?

6. What actions do you suggest to increase the engagement and participation of volunteers from local communities around the world in project's activities?

7. Should the Foundation -as an entity distinct from the LibreOffice project or the Document Liberation project- engage into growing its influence and promoting and defending Free Software and Digital Freedom? It is, after all, an integral part of its mission per its very Statutes. If yes, do you have ideas on what should be done about this?

8. What's your idea to let TDF membership become more appealing? Currently, the only difference from being Community member and TDF member is the possibility to vote and be voted for TDF's governance, and it's fine, but can you imagine anything to encourage more Community members to become also part of TDF?

9. How do you view your (potential) role as a member of the board of directors, given that this position does not give you any specific functional role inside the LibreOffice or Document Liberation projects?

10. What is the biggest problem of the foundation in your opinion? What is its biggest opportunity?

11. If they will occur, how do you think to handle conflicts within the board?

On behalf of the Membership Committee,
Marina Latini

[0] https://listarchives.tdf.io/i/tFJzSYUUGcSjf0c0NtNiEOou

Dear candidate,

Now that the nomination phase is ended and we still have some more days
before the start of the voting phase, as previously announced[0], we
would like to ask you some questions about your views and intentions
regarding The Document Foundation and your plans as potential director
of the entity. While replying to this email, please ensure to keep all
the recipients in copy.

  1. Do you commit yourself to have enough time and the necessary
    technological tools in order to participate to the regularly scheduled
    board calls?

I would like to attend meetings as my circumstances permit

  1. Do you commit yourself to follow up and work on (at least) the main
    items and actions you will volunteer to oversee or that will be assigned
    to you by the board?

I will do everything possible to fulfill the duties that will be given.

  1. What is your willingness to delegate decisions, especially in lack of
    time?

I am willing to delegate decisions when necessary.

  1. What are your views on the foundation’s budget? How should the money
    be spent, besides our fixed costs?

Increasing the budget if possible and making payments to volunteer contributors if possible will encourage them.

  1. Should we work towards broadening our pool of contributors, both
    technical and non-technical?

The technical staff pool can be expanded. Because in order to be an alternative to institutions and end users, a better product than our competitors should be put forward.

  1. What actions do you suggest to increase the engagement and
    participation of volunteers from local communities around the world in
    project’s activities?

As I mentioned before, small payments can be made to volunteers for their contributions to projects. The number of events can be increased by financing the activities of local communities.

  1. Should the Foundation -as an entity distinct from the LibreOffice
    project or the Document Liberation project- engage into growing its
    influence and promoting and defending Free Software and Digital Freedom?
    It is, after all, an integral part of its mission per its very Statutes.
    If yes, do you have ideas on what should be done about this?

My answer is Yes. In this regard, both international and local free software communities should be contacted and supported.

  1. What’s your idea to let TDF membership become more appealing?
    Currently, the only difference from being Community member and TDF
    member is the possibility to vote and be voted for TDF’s governance, and
    it’s fine, but can you imagine anything to encourage more Community
    members to become also part of TDF?

Membership certificates can be issued to TDF members. TDF members may be empowered to communicate with local communities in their countries of residence.

  1. How do you view your (potential) role as a member of the board of
    directors, given that this position does not give you any specific
    functional role inside the LibreOffice or Document Liberation projects?

Although this position does not give me any functional role, I will continue with the contributions I am already making. Besides, being a member of the board of directors of an international foundation is an important prestige for me. It would be my honor to accompany or support the decision making regarding the development of the Foundation and the projects it supports.

  1. What is the biggest problem of the foundation in your opinion? What
    is its biggest opportunity?

I have no idea if the foundation has a problem. The foundation’s greatest opportunity is to lead a major project like LibreOffice and have volunteer members around the world.

  1. If they will occur, how do you think to handle conflicts within the
    board?

I intend to calmly and rationally resolve any conflicts that may arise within the board of directors.