Dear Simon,

On 28/10/2021 15:29, Simon Phipps wrote:

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 2:24 PM Paolo Vecchi <paolo.vecchi@documentfoundation.org <mailto:paolo.vecchi@documentfoundation.org>> wrote:

    On 28/10/2021 15:11, Simon Phipps wrote:
    While we're talking terminology, I have to point out that the
    word "external" is not appropriate here.

    You used the term "guests" so I believed you were referring to
    external consultants of which there were none.

Ah, I see your confusion!  No, MC Members and Trustees as well as staff would also be "guests" if invited to a Board executive session

Sorry but I believe that when fellow members and staff are invited to participate to Board meetings or private sessions we always called them by name and not "guests". That's probably why I wasn't able to match your terminology. I'll check with the Board if they they think we should adopt a more formal approach.

- one might even consider Board Deputies who are not representing a director (so have no executive role) to be guests at such a session, although that's not been the norm so far.

What one might consider seems not to be shared by the Board.

No matter, it remains important to list who was attending while the board is in executive session so there's less scope for this sort of confusion. Disclosure is usually best!

From a quick search it seems like all the Board members listed in the minutes participate to the public and private part. I don't recall of an instance when that was not the case so I believe the procedure used has been the same for many years and it shouldn't cause any confusion.

Cheers

Simon
Ciao

Paolo

--
Paolo Vecchi - Deputy Member of the Board of Directors