Hello everybody,

Am 09.03.21 um 15:14 schrieb Florian Effenberger:

3. Discuss: Business entity (Thorsten, Florian, all 10min)
  * Two existing proposals in https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/NeBWm25cd2LHyoq - Germany and Luxembourg
   * rescheduled after 4 weeks question and clarification, status of this
  * Question about ownership and mission/scope/rationale of business entity   * Need to make some decision, one of the too proposals or can also be there's no entity in the next ~6-12 months   * App stores: TDF's readiness wrt. tools and skills to provide, package and update app store binaries, plus documenting   Rationale: We asked the public to send proposals, so let's discuss in public first. We can move to private if needed.

I just checked the Windows store and the Apple Store for Videolan's VLC Player.

In Apple's App Store I didn't found anything.
In MS Store there it is listed with two apps:
* VLC for Windows (with remark that not all features are available)
* VLC for Windows Phone [sic]

So I'm sill undecided: on one and I do understand the need for a business entity on the other hand I do not understand the need as other non profit organizations like VLC are able to publish their apps in app stores. What is different in their organization in comparison to our organization?

Moreover: does this org then also handle the releases in Linux App Stores (flatpack, AppImage, Snap, you name it) or in MacUpdate or Chocolatey or other stores? And iff not, why? And if, what happens to the actual maintainers?

In all proposals I do not see any clear distinction: only in "App Stores". For the case that only MS and Apple (maybe Google)-owed App Stores are handled: why do not name it and why is there any distinction at all?

Best regards,

Dennis
(not GPG-signed for reasons)