On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 11:56:35AM +0200, Andreas Mantke wrote:
Am 30.09.20 um 11:01 schrieb Paolo Vecchi:

Before moving to Luxembourg a couple of years ago I had the same feeling
about it but, as written in my proposal, I discovered that few EU
countries didn't like to have Luxembourg as a competitor in tax
efficiency so they pushed for and obtained huge changes in local tax laws.

As you may know since a few years countries like UK, Holland and Ireland
offer much better opportunities for tax "efficiency".

that's an euphemistic description for a tax shelter!

Andreas, (nearly?) every country is another country's tax
shelter. Germany, for example, from 1997 to 2019 was, if one looked
only at taxation numbers, an effective tax shelter for wealthy low
income French people (who can have an effective taxation rate of 75%,
and before the Sarkozy area, effectively unlimited, including above
100%). The main reason their exodus was more directed to (Southern /
Brussels) Belgium and Romandy (French-speaking Switzerland) is that
they speak the language.

Similarly, high net worth Dutch residents tend to flock to (Northern)
Belgium, rather than Germany, because of common language, but Germany
is, and remains to this day, an efficient tax shelter for them.

And, if some government coalition members in Luxembourg get their way,
Germany will instantaneously become a good tax shelter for high net
asset Luxembourg residents, and many Luxembourgers speak the
language. One can even commute every day to Luxembourg and continue to
work in Luxembourg.

Czech Republic until quite recently was a low tax country for high
income people.

France was, and still is, a good tax shelter for people whose main
income is from pensions. Why do you think there are so many UK
retirees in France?

One can make this list very long...