Re: [board-discuss] MCC questions ..

Hi Italo,

Italo Vignoli wrote on 10/09/2020 00:58:
On 9/9/20 11:29 PM, Cor Nouws wrote:

This is a very interesting point. 4k people in Weblate, so that would be
350 persons or so on average for every language that LibreOffice supports?

Although I have a degree in humanities, I am still capable of handling
basic operations: 4000 divided by 140 active language projects gives as
a result 28.6, quite a smaller figure. Even if we consider only the 119
available languages, the figure is 33.6.

Sure - stupid mistake of me. Thanks for helping me out here ;)
Still the number of people that seems to be involved is interesting.
Also because the policy is: focusing on getting translators to apply for
membership.

I think that a solution to this issue is to reach out to native language
communities, especially outside Europe, where the relationship with the
core group is less strong.

I think we have to recognize that the number of 4k people there is very
high. Even if say 10% would contribute (...) it is unrealistic to expect
that their membership will help with a balanced, strong governance of
the foundation.

According to the statutes, if they contribute they can become TDF
members. Statutes do not mention at all the way their membership can
help a balanced and strong governance of the foundation. And in any
case, how each TDF member helps a balanced and strong governance falls
under the personal judgement, and here each one may have a completely
different point of view.

For me there is no (single) good way, nor a less good way, to help
LibreOffice. Also more trivial, non regular contributions are helping
LibreOffice.

Yet, having them on our side showing support, spreading the word, is
important. And the same applies in the area of e.g. marketing and
design. We do want to value the support also from people that help on a
booth or do a local presentation 2, 3 times a year and have them engaged.
Is it necessary to try to make them all member? Growing membership is
not a goal of the community.

My opinion is completely different here, and I think there are several
other people who share my point of view. Actually, several people asked
about ideas to grow the membership by involving more contributors.

I fully agree here. During the time I served in the MC, I've been doing
a lot to reach out to people that are involved somehow. Either direct,
or thinking about opportunities with the other MC members.
It is not 'just more members', rather more contributors, doing
non-trivial work regularly, that counts.

More important is that the board of
trustees is composed in a way, that this supports that people who
are doing the hard and essential work of development will also be
leading their own work. We cannot afford that the meritocracy
disappears; this is undesired.

Sorry, but I completely disagree here. Having a board of trustees based
only on developers would be as bad as having a board of trustees without
developers, and would kill meritocracy in both cases.

It is important to get everyone involved in one way or another; I think
I didn't want to suggest to have a developer-only centered membership :)
Also the work on the marketing-plan indicate we have a challenge in
finding the right balance, keeping the community healthy, or.. How do
you see that?

Thanks,
Cor

--