Re: [board-discuss] MCC questions ..

Il giorno ven 4 set 2020 alle ore 13:18 Michael Meeks <
michael.meeks@collabora.com> ha scritto:

* many MC members say they want to expand the membership.
  Given that LibreOffice is rather static in terms of its
  number of those involved in development: coding, UX,
  translation, documentation etc.

        + how do you plan to gain lots of new contributors ?

As many have already pointed out, surely it would worth it to look for
current contributors not yet members and asking them to join.
Then it's really important to work with universities, colleges but also
with (technical?) high schools, from my POV, since I believe there is more
"space" there in terms of collaboration. And even if students could be too
young to join TDF they could still join our community and in the meanwhile
gain the experience and the commitment to become members later on.

A good point is indeed to achieve some (more) benefit in being a member,
because I've been asked too what would have been the pro, even after having
explained the current ones.

        + Do you think we expand the membership by accpting
          more marginal contributions for membership cf.

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/Membership_Role#Contributing

The statute is really clear on this, and we stick to it.
My POV is that its threshold is appropriate and doesn't need any tuning.

        + what effect do you expect that to have on the project ?

The goal is to have a proper representation of all the local communities
involved in the project.

* If you've stood before, approximately how many people have
  you encouraged to apply for membership ?

Some dozen telematically, but hundreds in person at every event, as I chase
people to explain the project and invite them to join :)
(I finished 500 flyers in a morning at FOSDEM, speaking over every single
one given).

* How many applications have you voted against ?

Shouldn't be too hard to find it on Gerrit, but I don't see the relevance
of such metrics.
Every time the statute's requirements are not met, rejections apply, unless
very few particular cases we track carefully.

* Do you believe we should have a half-way house / badge
  between membership and non-membership that encourages
  a person, and gives the a path via more contribution to
  achieve full membership ?

Let's say that I like them but I'm not an expert, so I'm curious to see if
they'll give the expected results.

* When there are no concrete metrics (such as translated strings,
  code commits, wiki changes, ask comments, etc.) available to
  decide on a person's contribution; what is best practice for
  MC members vouching for their friends' contributions, and how
  should other MC members validate that ?

As my colleagues already wrote, in such cases we have to reach 'em out
and/or trust some witness.
At the end a certain grade of trust is always required, since even metrics
aren't foolproof.

* To what degree should the MC's decisions & discussion
  be transparent (ie. publicly available) ?

As written by others, GDPR is involved and reasonably since often personal
motivations are provided by members.
Discussions and decisions about the MC itself or its activity in general
with regards to the Foundation can be shared publicly.

* How do you believe we can improve the existing election
  system - assuming the statutes can be tweaked ?
        + I'm interested in where we have the situation that
          being too popular can stop you being able to
          engage at all as a deputy - as we saw with
          Miklos/Jona in the last MC election, and Kendy
          in the last Board election.

I do agree that TDF should try to better regulate such cases by means of
bylaws.

        Thanks for any answers =)

Thank you for asking.
---