Re: [board-discuss] MCC questions ..

Hi Mike and Andreas,

I just joined the board-discuss couple days ago, so not much know about

Pada tanggal Jum, 4 Sep 2020 pukul 18.18 Michael Meeks <
michael.meeks@collabora.com> menulis:

Hi Andreas,

On 03/09/2020 19:59, Andreas Mantke wrote:
b) TDF currently has 221 members and none of them asked any question to
the candidates!

That's something to think long and hard about. What does this mean to
the democratic culture of the foundation. It was created to get the
members / contributors a voice and a say.

        Fair enough =) good point - here are a few questions I came up
with.
Please note - it is trivial to ask more questions in a few minutes than
can be answered in a lifetime - but here are a few things I'd love to know
from each candidate:

        What is the right list for that ? board-discuss I hope.

Some people probably do not read this mailing list too much (like me,
sorry). The newer generation below me dislike mailing lists.

* many MC members say they want to expand the membership.
  Given that LibreOffice is rather static in terms of its
  number of those involved in development: coding, UX,
  translation, documentation etc.

        + how do you plan to gain lots of new contributors ?

In my experience, here what I do:
* active in community, if you can't active physically because of busy with
daily job, you can donate/support their activity, in Indonesian community,
we often have some challenge to community and there is a prize for the
winner. you can donate the prize if you feel busy and can't help much.
* give a good example and impression how we use libreoffice and how to
contribute in the easiest way to the community.
* have good manners to newcomers, sometimes arrogant also needed but still,
we must help newcomers.
* create a conference. I (with help of the community) often create open
source conferences. Of course we have held a libreoffice indonesia
conference before with more than 500 audience. This year's conference
failed because covid-19
* exhibition booth. be happy and set up booths in as many exhibitions as
possible. you will have a lot of questions and answers at that booth.
* create a workshop about libreoffice, it can be user (how to use)
workshop, translation, and QA.
* Gave a talk in university or any organization.

And we lack (never happen at least in Indonesia) about coding/UX workshops
for libreoffice.

        + Do you think we expand the membership by accpting
          more marginal contributions for membership cf.

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/Membership_Role#Contributing

Please explain more about the term "marginal".

        + what effect do you expect that to have on the project ?

Anything, in my case, local community have:
* https://glosarium.libreoffice.id/ to help translation
* https://docs.libreoffice.id/ for record activity (it's like readme
actually)
* https://lumbung.libreoffice.id/ for saving slide, theme and template

* If you've stood before, approximately how many people have
  you encouraged to apply for membership ?

I can't remember it, but I do encourage several people who are active in
the community (from Indonesia and Malaysia).

* How many applications have you voted against ?

Many, especially if I know the applicant. Mostly I know in person if they
are from SouthEast Asia.

* Do you believe we should have a half-way house / badge
  between membership and non-membership that encourages
  a person, and gives the a path via more contribution to
  achieve full membership ?

I have no idea about this. But I often have questions from students "what
would be the benefit if we become a member?"

* When there are no concrete metrics (such as translated strings,
  code commits, wiki changes, ask comments, etc.) available to
  decide on a person's contribution; what is best practice for
  MC members vouching for their friends' contributions, and how
  should other MC members validate that ?

In my case, I will validate if I know the person. If no, I ask another MC
to verify it. If still nobody knows, then one of MC will send them an email
asking more questions.

* To what degree should the MC's decisions & discussion
  be transparent (ie. publicly available) ?

It can be transparent if there's good tools. Some discussions are in MC
telegram groups. IMHO it doesnt need to be totally transparent, of course
there's reporting. But people can ask. Probably need to discuss more about
"the transparent thing"?

* How do you believe we can improve the existing election
  system - assuming the statutes can be tweaked ?
        + I'm interested in where we have the situation that
          being too popular can stop you being able to
          engage at all as a deputy - as we saw with
          Miklos/Jona in the last MC election, and Kendy
          in the last Board election.

        Thanks for any answers =)

                Michael.

I can't answer this since I don't know about this issue. But it should be
no problem. Being popular is a gift.

Thanks,
Haris