Re: [board-discuss] Re: Short Résumé (was: Re: [board-discuss] Questions To MC Candidates)

On September 3, 2020 11:59:14 AM PDT, Andreas Mantke <maand@gmx.de> wrote:
Hi all,

a short résumé:

a) there are 13 candidates for the MC elections and only 8 are
able/willing to answer two short questions.

Many thanks to all of this eight candidates to take your time and give
your personal view!

b) TDF currently has 221 members and none of them asked any question to
the candidates!

That's something to think long and hard about. What does this mean to
the democratic culture of the foundation. It was created to get the
members / contributors a voice and a say.

This is something we have a bit of a problem of in the Arch Linux community as well when a
community member applies to become a Trusted User (i.e. a packager in the [community] repository).
Existing TUs  vet the applicant's package quality and fitness. Sometimes barely any discussion
comes during the two-week discussion period. I am guilty of letting this slide as well. We have not
really solved the problem past the occasional reminder of our duties. I think this problem is more
generally one of doing thankless, "minor" - yet important - work in volunteer communities.

I do not pretend to know how to solve this for everyone. Personally, I find that an occasional
reminder of my duties in my occupied post keeps the easily-forgotton tasks somewhat near the front
of my brain.

I would be happy to discuss general topics with all my friends, such as our opinions of TDF's
strengths and weaknesses to encourage a healthy stir of the pot. But I encourage community members
to ask questions or voice their opinion!

Voters possibly already know the candidates well enough that questions don't add any value to an
already-formulated opinion.