Re: [board-discuss] Agenda for TDF board meeting on Friday, August 14th at 1300 Berlin time (UTC+2)

Related to the investigation for a business entity. Is there some kind of roadmap action plan/ strategy. Where to start and what to next. I assume it's starts with some kind of (first) outline of what the desires/requirements around the legal entity are.

I personally envision some kind of 'lock' system/ stepping system. So you start with an outline of requirements. Public hearing; decision (lock) Moving on the next step. It it's working as an early warning system (angry mob?). At the same time preventing a total roll back. Previous are still standing (in principle, there are always exceptions)

It's more or less a kind of communication strategy too. So at which point strategic/ discussion points the 'public' (say Members) get informed. Instead black box system where a end-result is presented. You need to get people along (and informed) and give them an opportunity to contribute.  So you have a way to fend of those people who don't participate, but stick with simply complain about the end result. [Books about change management?]. You get hopefully valuable feedback in the process (not at the end); and nothing is so disappointing/frustrating as the whole project failing or falling apart because of an angry mob. The best intentions can still be badly received

Personally like options/ scenario's/. To communicate that options are considered. Instead of heading/ running (blindly) to one direction. What are the advantages/disadvantages for (say) Canada/German/Britain route. Or even some European entity like: Societas cooperativa Europaea (SCE) [not sure if this actual an option; i had the Societas Europaea, SE in mind]

I personally have no affinity with Canada. So my pretty biased here. The main eco-system partners are Europe based. Similar: Infra and TDF. Also there practical aspects who should be the psychical representative in flesh and blood?  And what about say the incident of Legal Proceedings in Canada (quite a trip for the Board Members). LibreOffice is used worldwide, but practically developed at Europe continent. Also they LibreOffice Conference are in Europe and/or FOSDEM; which reflects what I mean with Europe (content) orientated; and maybe even more specific orientated within the European Union (but that's changing after brexit)

So maybe Canada the most desired place to go in theory, but might be less advisable for other reasons. I prefer things to be around 'home' as there is more affinity (and maybe cultural homogeneity as this tends to be reflected in laws).  And there probably more German Laywers knowing say Dutch or Britain law compared to Lawyers with in depth knowledge of Canadian law. Not even starting about banking/ international payments and all the fuzz around that (money laundering laws) or say exchange rates. I really don't know what they quirks and perks with dealing with Canada are.

These are only some gut feelings. So there is room to argue about this. However, don't assume the Canadian route to be a holy grail or a run race. There are lots of factors to consider. Maybe the Netherlands is a good place. Still a tax haven. Or maybe Luxembourg, does also a pretty good job in that area. Based on travel Germany seems a good choice, pretty in the center of Europe (where the main contributors (and Board Members) are living).

Regards,
Telesto