Re: [board-discuss] 'Free Beer' Office?

Hi Telesto,

On 28/07/2020 21:35, Telesto wrote:
I'm still getting a little annoyed by the 'free beer' matter.

        =)

While at GNU they state "We sometimes call it “libre software,”
borrowing the French or Spanish word for “free” as in freedom, to
show we do not mean the software is gratis."

        Imagine the ensuing terminological confusion if the Libre-Office
project builds a self-defeating over-emphasis on gratis ;-)

So please communicate this properly. You can't expect people to know
what is meant.

        I think there has been a long term attempt to encourage marketing that
emphasizes the project and our values, and the goodness of those over
the gratis nature of the software. This is often stated as Project over
Product - though of course there needs to be a balance here.

LibreOffice being free of charge is an result of  the philosophy/ideals.
It's not something needing extra attention or emphasis. It's merely a
fact; at state of being

         Hopefully we are going in a good direction there - I think people just
being aware, and starting to notice / call-out the more gratuitous
"discover why no-one is paying anything for Office" type stuff when they
see it. I think largely this is a lack of awareness of the impact of the
gratis framing.

You need to create a story around LibreOffice; mission, vision, goals.
Making interest/vivid to read.
This is part of the business plan/ marketing plan/ marketing
communication plan from TDF.  The ideals should be compatible with they
vision of the eco-system partners

        I agree,

        Thanks,

                Michael.