Re: [board-discuss] Initiative to improve communication channels

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 6:19 PM Daniel Armando Rodriguez <
drodriguez@documentfoundation.org> wrote:

El 2020-07-17 13:20, Simon Phipps escribió:
There is also CONSUL, which was developed as open source by Madrid City
Council, transferred to an independent Foundation and is now used
worldwide. Italo Vignoli is a member of their Board of Directors. See
https://consulproject.org/en/

All the same, I don't think it's necessarily a good thing to bring
thousands of voters into a decision making process where they have no
responsibilities to moderate their exercise of rights. It will just
become factional and partisan based on external agendas.

I believe that it is crucially important to allow as many voices as
possible to be heard, and the consequent monitoring process is greatly
facilitated by the implementation of a tool such as Decidim so, together
BoD & Community can decide about the issues that matter to us.

Please don't confuse "making voices heard", which is generally good, with
"offering them a vote", which is generally problematic if they do not carry
any responsibilities upon which their votes might rely and especially if
they are willing to vote for ideas they don't fully understand on the basis
only of personality or identity. Decisions made in that way have bad
outcomes.

S.
--
*Simon Phipps*