Re: [board-discuss] Some problems.

Hi Michael,

Michael Weghorn wrote:
In my opinion (and from own experience at the City of Munich),
LibreOffice (and other FLOSS software) is often not suitable for many
large enterprises "as is", so a good way of managing the lifecycle and
getting issues addressed (i.e. professional support of some kind) is
required to make it work well and users happy.

Seconded. And it's one of the greatest advantages of FLOSS in the
enterprise - people can absolutely tailor it to their _specific_ needs
and requirements, by adding the features & fixes they need.

That's particularly appealing to larger-scale deployments (where
economies of scale offer good value-for-money on a per-user
price).

Would be great to market this better.

The problem is that if management was persuaded it was a good idea
to introduce LibreOffice just because it's "free as in free beer",
you won't have (and will have a hard time getting) the resources to
handle issues appropriately, so it's better to avoid wrong
expectations.

Quite. This situation is bad for the company, bad for the users, _and_
bad for us in the project. And it's sometimes ~impossible to change
minds after the fact. So for LibreOffice, past mistakes of
"overselling" to the enterprise (though I believe we inherited many of
those wrong expectations from OOo) are coming back to haunt us now.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten