Re: [board-discuss] Re: [tdf-members] Personal: and software freedom.

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 04:31:38PM -0700, Brett Cornwall wrote:
On July 12, 2020 12:51:26 PM PDT, toki <toki.kantoor@gmail.com> wrote:
On 2020/07/10 12:59, Kev M wrote:

I might be hypersensative right now, due to the riots in the United
States, but I suspect every HR department seeking to reduce
"hostile work environment" lawsuits would flat out bar the use of
any product that contained the word "vanilla" in it, due to both
its racial, and its sexual connotations.

As a U.S. citizen I find this puzzling... I've never heard the term
vanilla to ever be remotely controversial. "Vanilla" is a term most
often used to describe something as "boring", which may provoke
sexual connotations as much as the word "fun" or "weird" does.

1) What is being sold as "vanilla ice cream" is white / cream / pale
   yellow. That association is strong in people's mind, so much that
   I've seen several people, on several occasions, in Europe, call
   plain, unflavoured, ice cream "vanilla ice cream".

   If "white hat" or "whitelist" can be controversial, I wouldn't be
   surprised that "white ice cream" (which "vanilla ice cream" is
   equivalent to, in people's minds), would be, too.

2) See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_sex; it does not quite
   mean "boring" in that context, but, well, it is a well established
   expression.