[tdf-members] Personal: and software freedom.

K, this is the amazing thing about Vanilla. It’s actually black. Well, it’s actually more ochre-ish.

Also, I get Olvier’s point about it being too cartoonish to use Vanilla; but I retort: Google uses candybar names for it’s versions of Android. Debian uses Toy Story characters. I could find many more examples where software has a “cartoonish” name.

The nice thing about Vanilla is that everyone implicity knows what it means; plain, but it doesn’t sound boring like plain, and Vanilla can be Vanilla, like the ice-cream, or Vanilla the substance, which again, is black.

I would hope that HR/IT departments are not so irrationally reactionary to the BLM movement that they would look so far into “Vanilla”. VanillaForums software might be in trouble. Meaningful engagement with their employees on issues such as racism is a better goal: https://hbr.org/2020/06/u-s-businesses-must-take-meaningful-action-against-racism

I second Olivier here, not everyone knows outside the geek circle.

I don't think the term is well-understood outside of those with a deep
understanding of the English language and at least one associated
culture. I expect it to be a translation / l10n / i18n nightmare. How
will one calle LibreOffice Vanilla in French? In German?

As a native European French speaker, I tell you "LibreOffice Vanille"
will _not_ do. It seems plausible to me it would be understood in
(North) American French, though.

Fair, I suppose my ethnocentrism is showing. I do think that "Community" in the FOSS world carries connotations that suggest less features. At least it's better than Home, Personal, or Individual.
It would be nice if there was a neutral third term that was universally known to communicate "plain, no enterprise support.'