Re: [board-discuss] Re: [tdf-members] Personal: and software freedom.

On 2020/07/13 12:36, Michael Meeks wrote:

      I think I've detected the location of the bug already.

and that AOo and LibO are slowly migrating towards
mutual incompatibility.

      I expect that this is a matter of keeping up with standards. It takes
significant investment to stand still in the market we're in.

I keep AOo around, mainly because it is easier than configuring LibO to
allow two simultaneously open instances.

Until about a year ago, there were two or three things that worked
slightly better with AOo than with LibO.
LibreOffice and A11Y tools
Can _any_ of the LibreOffice Ecosystem support vendors provide A11Y
support? Going by the websites I've seen, it would appear that they do not.

      Collabora sells root cause bug fixes for a fixed (published) price; and
have extensive experience available around a11y - so if you want
code-fix support; then yes. RedHat have fixed a11y issues, I'm sure CIB
and others can to if that is the support you want.

      If you want training or AT fixing - I imagine Hypra or NV Access would
know where to start. The problem is of course, that there is nearly an
infinite amount of work and/or customization that can be done in this
area. Almost all user want it to have been done already, rather than to
pay for that.

      The search for support you outline was apparently not terribly
rigorous; at least I didn't hear of it.

It starts with being on the list of approved vendors. If an organisation
isn't listed there, it won't get considered.
The screening then goes:
* Does their paperwork indicate that they do "x";
* Does their paperwork indicate that they do "y", which is a superset of
"x";
* Does their paperwork indicate that they support "w", which is a
specific a11y tool;
* Does their paperwork indicate that they support "v", which is a
category of specific a11y tools;
* Does their website/marketing material indicate that they do "x";
* Does their website/marketing material indicate that they do "y";
* Does their website/marketing material indicate that they support "w",
which is a specific a11y tool;
* Does their website/marketing material indicate that they support "v",
which is a category of specific a11y tools;
* Does their paperwork indicate that they do "z", which is a superset of
"y";
* Does their paperwork indicate that they do "z";

So, to go back to the search in question:
First cut, who offers training in LibreOffice?  Zero results;
Second cut, who offers training in Linux?
Third cut, which of those vendors offers training in Office Suites;
Fourth cut, which of those vendors claims to be able to teach users for
specific a11y tool
Fifth cut, if the fourth cut comes up empty, which vendors claims to
teach users for the specific category of a11y tools;
This is the point at which that MSO trainer popped up.

Geography is important, only for hardware/software that requires
physically demonstrating to the individual how to use the product. How
to physically turn it on. How to physically turn it off.

Periodically, that agency will put out a bid request, and help all of
the bid applicants get onto that list of approved vendors, if they are
not currently there.

A SOHO or SMB that hires somebody that needs a11y tools, will usually
rely exclusively on whatever the agency that helps them purchase and
configure the a11y tools that are recommended.
If an organisation is not on that list of approved vendors, it probably
won't get on the list of recommended vendors, that the SOHO/SMB
receives. It definitely won't get any contracts from the agency.

Getting on that list of approved vendors is about as straightforward as
anything government related is. Which is to say that there are firms
whose sole source of revenue, is helping organisations get onto that list.

Deciding how beneficial it will be, to be on that list of approved
vendors, is something each support vendor has to individually decide.
Is the effort (energy, time, money) going to have either a direct, or
indirect positive ROI?
FWIW, my thinking is that if the organisation is not physically located
in the US, do not try to get on the US list, until it has been on the
equivalent list of the countries that the organisation in physically
located in, for several years.

jonathon