Re: [board-discuss] Discussion about options available with marketing plan draft and timetable

Michael Meeks wrote:
      There are a number of larger deployments that buy the gratis message,
then they fall over an increasing number of small annoyances that
cumulatively drive them away over the years. It's not a good model for
the project to promote, it results in unhappy users, a bad experience of
the brand, and starves product development.

Quite.

There's been some good points being made from all sides of the
argument; but this one here needs stressing: there is _negative_ net
value to LibreOffice (and the ecosystem), to sell it as basically a
zero-cost alternative to MS Office. Merely pushing up numbers of users
is not a goal in and of itself, as we need people being happy & served
well with our software.

I know people here are aware of it (some of you have even tried to
rescue projects which started like that - at great personal cost
sometimes), but our product marketing to this date apparently still
does not convey the message clearly enough.

The discussion we're having is basically about how to change that.

TDF, in my humble opinion, was not founded to 'sell a zero-cost office
suite' - the collective motivation & mission statement would be IMO
much better served by marketing an experience - 'LibreOffice the
community'. That will likely involve distributing the bits of the
compiled program, but only as a means to an end, not as the sole
purpose.

As such, I find the label 'LibreOffice Community Edition' quite
suitable.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten