[board-discuss] Re: [tdf-members] Discussion about options available with marketing plan draft and timetable

I think the best solution probably lies in just using simple branding of "LibreOffice", and "LibreOffice LTS" for eco-system branding.

As many have already said, LibreOffice Personal implies licensing - which simply isn't true, and so is a particularly bad term.

LibreOffice Community edition implies crippleware - which currently is not true, and is not the intended direction. So also a poor term.

The factual distinction currently between TDF LibreOffice vs Eco-system versions is rolling releases vs Long Term Support releases. Since "LibreOffice Rolling" would hold no meaning for most people, it is best to go with the common suggestion to just stick with "LibreOffice". LTS is a fairly common term for business-focused open-source, and thus "LibreOffice LTS / supported by XXX" provides a branding distinction that immediately conveys confidence and desirability to the business sector.

On a related topic, I also wanted to comment on the underlying tone that some segments are using LibreOffice, but not contributing. I think that is hard to measure because open-source is a very large field, and in my opinion, anyone who invests well in open-source anywhere should have the moral right to use all open-source products. So for example, a company that supports a lot of code development for GIMP shouldn't be shamed for not contributing/donating directly to LibreOffice even if they heavily use it.  For me, it made most sense to "pay" for our open-source use as a volunteer LibreOffice developer.

Justin