Re: [board-discuss] Discussion about options available with marketing plan draft and timetable

Hi Flo, *,

Florian Effenberger wrote:
first and foremost, thanks a lot to everyone for taking on the challenging
task to work on a marketing plan. I am sure this was not easy, so thanks to
all of you for your work on this - and thanks to the board for the
transparent communication in public!

Seconded - the feedback here & elsewhere has been overwhelmingly
positive & constructive!

With all the feedback received, I strongly propose to leave 7.0 without
tagging and finalize the plan for a later release.

I think that would be a mistake.

- we see consensus forming now, around the community tag
- there's a unique opportunity now, with the 10 year / 7.0 marketing
  push & attention we're getting
- there's _additional_ attention now from the press, due to the
  ongoing, public discussion
  (quite a nice & balanced article:
   https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/825598/21fb7c2a3f9358e7/)
- instead being seen from the outside as not being able to resolve
  conflicts amicably & in finite time would further the impression of
  a project mired in internal fights

I propose instead to use the available time, focus the minds, and
settle on something that seems to have broad-enough support
(LibreOffice Community Edition).

I've seen great artwork & mockups already from the design team, and it
would be a shame to let the current focus, energy & thrust fizzle out.

As it inevitably will, because the next release is 6 months out, and
for a project also relying on volunteers, real life will certainly
take over again.

One more thing:

Relevance of Statutes and Regulations:

In course of the discussion, also the statutes were mentioned several times.
Although I know their history and their ideas quite well, I don’t think the
discussion is so much about regulations already at this point - much more
important is the mutual understanding of what we want.

Can you (perhaps in a separate mail) clearly state that with the
current marketing plan, those allegations are baseless? Or if not,
where perhaps some care need to be taken?

Explanatory Texts:

Next to the tagging, also the various texts need to be agreed on and
translated, like in the start center, the about dialog and the start center
sidebar - and the same thoughts as for the actual tagging apply, how strict
should the frame be set.

Yep - but for those, I've also seen good suggestions (and I'm more
willing to e.g. only have an inobtrusive banner instead of a wall of
text for the start center, if that makes things more palatable).

I find it much easier to celebrate things with a positive message than with
a negative.

I agree.

Two thoughts here:
 - I'm much happier with a text many here agree with, than no message
 - Whatever we do, we'll learn how effective it is, and we can iterate
   the approach for 7.1

But I very, very strongly feel the need to act for 7.0 - with a change
that is broadly acceptable, but with a _change_. Because if every
change for the LibreOffice product takes a year to iterate, any
learning & adapting we can pull up will be too slow for the internet
age.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten