Re: [board-discuss] LibreOffice Personal & TDF's statutes & purpose

Hi Paolo,

I think as stated earlier, as part of the consultation regarding the marketing plan there should be
a discussion around tag names. Collectively calling the ecosystem "Enterprise" has connotations of
different editions, even if it's stated that there will be no difference in versions.

Community could be the result but it seems based on comments here Italo disagrees with using that
term and both Michael and Italo have commented here that Personal is still on the table. I
apologize for my abrasiveness (I wish no ill-will against Michael or Italo and I apologize if they
feel that way), I'm just responding based on the comments on this mailing list as to what I see. If
there are in-person discussions that allow for more nuanced understanding because of how we humans
communicate, that's great.

Regarding software solutions; I don't want to prescribe anything. It should be up to the staff at
TDF to determine what they're comfortable working with. I think the democraciaos suggested by
Daniel, or Loomio might be solutions worth investigating though to facilitate more stakeholder
collaboration.

I would suggest that multiple FOSS projects are using open source forum software to engage their
communities. Discourse and NodeBB are two popular, modern looking ones with many community
enhancing features (upvoting, badges, signatures, polling, easy screenshot attachment, gifs,
stickied posts, etc.) that could increase engagement and accessibility in the project. These
software have been production ready for 4+ years. I would think, if I were maintaining a community
such as this, doing a review of community engagement software every 4 or 5 years would be
appropriate to stay up to date with the times while not being too intrusive to established
workflows. Maybe that's too rapid for some.

Consider that the Apache OnlyOffice forum is being used today by people looking for LibreOffice
support. ie. rather than getting community support from the askbot, people are going to a different
organization's dated phpbb forums to ask for support, because of the familiarity and comfort with
using forum software. There are also limitations with askbot that have been identified multiple
times over the past 6 years on the LO askbot site, and these were ignored by TDF. I hear now
there's a plan to transition to a forum, that's great!

These software being able to be self-hosted I am sure TDF could find a hosting provider that is
GDPR-compliant that would be willing to provide hosting and maintenance for those software without
a significant cost.

Personally, I think a dedicated modern open-source forum will go a long way to providing support
and building a community engagement with the project, if moderated correctly and with the usage of
polls, etc. I even think it's worth paying a small annual fee to be able to post (but not view), or
to receive a badge. I also don't see forum software disappearing in a few months/years as they've
been established for a long time.

I would suggest these could be used to replace the mailing list as well as they do offer threaded
functionality and can be archived for accountability. At least some mailing list discussions should
move to a forum, notably the marketing and discussion forums. We now have conversations occurring
on Telegram, LO blog posts, mailing lists, and external sites outside of TDF moderation. Further
with the mailing list I can't edit or be moderated for the insensitive statements I made earlier
which doesn't bug me as much but I do feel bad if others are continuously offended.

I would try to provide more thoughts but I've reached what I have time available for to contribute
to the "Community Edition" of LibreOffice and I have to get back to work.

Cheers,
Kevin