Re: [board-discuss] LibreOffice Personal & TDF's statutes & purpose

It would be better to call it "LibreOffice Unsupported" and "LibreOffice Paid Support" instead of
using the terms "LibreOffice Enterprise" and "LibreOffice Personal".

You're arguing that using the term "community" creates confusion because of other open source
projects providing the same tagging. But some of those projects also use "Enterprise" to describe
their paid versions, and those versions have different features than their community editions. So I
don't get the argument that allowing for the "Enterprise" tag is OK, but a "Community" tag is not.

I've read and understand the context of the marketing plan, as well as Michael's article on
business models. I understand the intent; but there is uncertainty about LibreOffice as a
sustainable project as is being alluded to by Michael and other ecosystem partners and this is
being used as a veiled threat to introduce changes that haven't received proper community
consultation. A statement by TDF saying there is no plan to do these things, while continuing to
discuss moving to an edition system, is the left hand washing the car while the right hand throws
dirt --- or some better idiom than this.

To point to links and mailing lists that anyone under the age of 40 probably does not use regularly
is not a good way to engage with your community. Several suggestions have been made and it seems
like certain people are resistant to them without giving legitimate reasons beyond "this is always
how we've done it, you should have checked instead. It's your fault for not flooding your email
inbox with chatter." (There are 40 upvotes and 0 downvotes on this comment:
https://forums.theregister.com/forum/all/2020/07/07/libreoffice_community_protests_at_introduction/#c_4067368
 ) Obviously how it's been done before is not working because people are upset and concerned about
the project. So I'd encourage some self-reflection in resisting calls to use modern software
infrastructure for the project to communicate better with stakeholders/donors beyond those who have
the privilege to be paid to work on the project.

Cheers,
Kevin