Re: [board-discuss] Personal Edition label and define is wrong.

Hi Peter,

On 07/07/2020 00:46, Peter Dolding wrote:
Well will  all new enterprise need features now appear in the
"LibreOffice Enterprise" first and then "LibreOffice Enterprise" users
have to beta test them before they come to Personal Edition?

        I think there were some slides which were brainstorming in Italo's deck
around having the enterprise version first, and then some delay etc.
Probably that's still confusing - and you point out some of the problems
with that.

        The ask for that didn't come from me / the ecosystem - and I think
there is consensus that this is not a great idea =)

        We already have a sensible release-train process with freezes that
everybody understands and works around, and I've not seen concerns
around sticking with that.

        That process means that features appear in master, some are back-ported
to product builds and shipped earlier, but the TDF version ends
including shipping them within six months. That gives an incentive to
invest in creating features to differentiate and a lead-time to enjoy
that before the next step on the tread-mill of trying to explain why
people should buy something when there is (apparently) a free enterprise
product --> over there that appears more genuine.

I have had a lot of cases where I have been able to get Libreoffice in
next to Microsoft Office at first by it being free and licensed for
anyone to use.

        I'm curious - what happens after that at-first ? do you have a business
that provides support or services ? do they ever pay for anything that
ends up supporting LibreOffice ?

LibreOffice Enterprise: only from ecosystem members

Only from ecosystem members this means if this equals must pay someone
to get this version lot of my deployments in different businesses of
Libreoffice would never have happened.    Yes I can see those wanting
to make the "LibreOffice Enterprise" wanting as many paying customers
as possible.

        It seem you deploy LibreOffice in lots of businesses; I'm interested in
your experience of the economics of that.

There are a lot of projects that do Community and Enterprise editions
using those names make sense.   Personal editions with open source
software almost never make any sense and normally end up writing
something in conflict with license or their community.

        I'm not sure that 'Community Edition' has a clear meaning to most
people; personally I liked the "LibreOffice Home and Student" as a first
cut ;-) but I can see how that would annoy people. But anyhow -
interesting feedback.

        Thanks,

                Michael.