Regarding the label "Personal Edition"

The label “Personal Edition” mentioned in the LibreOffice Development branch stating that it is intended for individual use, I feel is a wrong direction in which the office suite is heading.

The term “Personal Edition” and the terminology “intended for individual use” strongly demotivates the office suite to be used by even small offices apart from big enterprises.

I request the board to consider the following:

  • Kindly do not add the tag “Personal Edition” and do not add any labels and only name the commercial suite as “LibreOffice - Enterprise Edition”.

  • If at all naming the free suite is unavoidable, I request to name the free suite as “LibreOffice - Community Edition” and not as personal edition.

  • Further, I request to not use terminology like “intended for individual use”. Instead, the Community Edition (if named) can be described as developed by volunteers and comes with no enterprise support (something similar to this), so that the Enterprise Edition (if named) can be described like comes with support, etc.

Thanks & regards,

Aravind Palla

Thanks for your suggestions Aravind.

Adding a tag to LibreOffice is not unavoidable, that’s why we are looking for feedback from the Community.

However, we feel that there is a need to clearly state that LibreOffice is a Community effort and that those that can should participate to this effort.

LibreOffice is, unfortunately, taken for granted by many which use it also in large organisations, which may have the resources for contributing to it, as they see it simply as a great office suite they can get for free.

Nothing wrong with having LibreOffice for free but if a large organisation or government, with appropriate means, uses it without keeping it up to date and with proper support is not only bad practice but also disrespectful towards all the people that invest time and money in it.

Maybe calling it LibreOffice Community Edition could help in getting the message through and those organisations will start contributing or getting proper support from the members of the Enterprise ecosystem.

In terms of text for the about window, what do you think about “You are using the Community version of LibreOffice, for supported business use consider LibreOffice Enterprise products and services.”?

Does it convey the message properly?

Ciao

Paolo

[...]

Hi,

LibreOffice is, unfortunately, taken for granted by many which use it
also in large organisations, which may have the resources for
contributing to it, as they see it simply as a great office suite they
can get for free.

Nothing wrong with having LibreOffice for free but if a large
organisation or government, with appropriate means, uses it without
keeping it up to date and with proper support is not only bad practice
but also disrespectful towards all the people that invest time and money
in it.

And it further breaks down resources, that are badly needed for many
areas in where the product needs improvements.

Maybe calling it LibreOffice Community Edition could help in getting the
message through and those organisations will start contributing or
getting proper support from the members of the Enterprise ecosystem.

I have no idea how that will have that effect.

In terms of text for the about window, what do you think about "You are
using the Community version of LibreOffice, for supported business use
consider LibreOffice Enterprise products and services."?

" For larger scale professional use, we advise LibreOffice Enterprise
products and support, which also helps vital funding of LibreOffice
development. "

More explicit what we want and why we need it.

Greetings,

Cor