[board-discuss] Board statements to the 7.0 rc "Personal Edition" label

Hi,

I'm not a fan of the "Personal Edition" label cause it suggests for
personal use only and this is not true. Otherwise LibreOffice is in the
same league as www.freeoffice.com. I never used freeoffice but from the
images it looks better than LibreOffice.

I also don't know what's the goal or the strategy of the change. Is it:

1. Bring TDF and Ecosystem partners closer together so that on the
LibreOffice web page show the free edition and the enterprise edition. So
that enterprises can directly contact the ecosystem partners?

2. Offer a free edition for personal use only and for all other enterprise
editions?

The difference between 1 and 2 is that in 1 it will be easier for the user
to get in contact with enterprises. In 2 you say private use is free
everything else you have to pay. When you choose 2. than TDF will get
issues with donations, cause personal users will say, enterprises pay the
development, why I should donate. In addition no. 2 TDF will have issues
with the community contributors. For example I'm not interested in
contributing to personal use software.

So please define the goals. If the goal is that ecosystem partners don't
get enough enterprises that will pay for developing LibreOffice.
Communicate it. For example wikipedia sayed years ago the project is so
important but they get not enough donations to maintain the project. You
have to say, we need money. When you don't say something nobody will change.

If you choose strategy 1, I would use not Personal Edition for the label.
For example:
- OpenSuse and Suse Linux Enterprise
- Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise

All 4 distributions are for personal and enterprise use, but as an
enterprise I wouldn't run OpenSuse on a (critical) server, I would choose
SLES and pay for it. As a university with an IT Department I would choose
maybe OpenSuse on the desktops cause It's for free and the support will be
done by the IT Department. ANY distribution that will be used widely has an
Personal Edition. Ubuntu, one of the famoused distributions, didn't
separate at all, which is one of the reasons that it's so popular. For sure
they make money with other stuff.

As the Personal Edition will be released by TDF and the other editions by
ecosystem partners, I'm for:

- LibreOffice community edition vs. LibreOffice enterprise edition

This makes it clear that in the community edition you don't have any
"support" from an ecosystem partner. And the enterprise edition you can
have support for whatever an ecosystem partner offers (LTS, user support,
...)

Regina wrote in the design chat that the French government chose for there
LibreOffice support an enterprise that didn't contribute back to
LibreOffice, this isn't good.

When TDF offers an LibreOffice community edition French government can use
this release but if the government chooses support from an ecosystem
partner the government will use LibreOffice enterprise edition. Which means
it's a selling point for our ecosystem partners.

From my point of view there can be differences between community and
enterprise edition. Like the community (TDF) offers (for example) 9 month
security updates, but you can by the enterprise edition with x year
security updates.

What I was saying is, when you work in the IT department you need a selling
point why someone should choose the enterprise edition. With Personal
Edition there is no choice, cause as government you have to use enterprise
edition. With community and enterprise edition the IT department can say do
I want to have support yes/no. Does an ecosystem partner offer me a good
offer for my company needs?

cheers
Andreas_k