Re: [board-discuss] Involvement of the board in the Marketing Plan

Hi Sam,

first off, thx a lot - for engaging in detail, and with constructive
criticism!

Just a few comments, to perhaps adjust perception -

Sam Tuke wrote:
Drafting a 5 year marketing plan following indecisiveness
from the board is a job for a diplomat, not a marketer.
Guessing and compromising the needs of board members is a recipe
for /strategy by exclusion/ -- "exclude anything contentious".
"Exclude anything that will cause delay".

A more positive look at this is - the board is supposed to be a
microcosm, to a large extend a fishbowl with many if not all community
interests represented.

The drafts we kicked around in the board where contentious; the result
now in front of us is a pre-distilled compromise, that hopefully makes
iteration into a final plan easier & faster. As you concede in your
answer to Michael, it's sometimes helpful to have most of the arguing
behind closed doors, especially in volunteer-run NGOs.

As such, your depiction of the current plan to be a hollowed-out
compromise is not accurate.

As it stands the Marketing Plan seems more like a political project
serving primarily internal needs of alignment of board members, with
TDF staff serving the role of peacemaker.

That _is_ the board's role, to align conflicting interests, to the
mutual benefit of all involved.

TDF staff was not serving as a peacemaker, but as expert marketeers,
turning rough ideas into something actionable & concrete.

I can understand that such a project is extremely important in its
own right. Hence I propose separating that part from the purely
marketing related components.

That is a fair ask, and IMO a good suggestion - as you correctly
state, asking for input without granting agency is a waste of
everyone's time.

If the process and document cannot be redirected in the short term,
as may be the case for various reasons, then at least let's not
continue pretending that the Plan, as it stands, is primarily about
marketing, or for LibreOffice marketers.

Let's for the moment assume it _is_ possible to redirect. What would
you change, just big-picture-wise?

Cheers,

-- Thorsten