Re: [board-discuss] Involvement of the board in the Marketing Plan

Thanks everyone for your replies. Replying message by message,
starting with Franklin.

On 26/06/2020 19:50, Franklin Weng wrote:
I have  regularly attended the marketing meeting, no matter the
heated ones like yesterday, or small ones with only three people
including me.

That's great to hear. It seems like the reason boad members were
not vocal in the meeting was then that their discussions had been
exhausted internally or the board lists, so there was nothing left
for debate in marketing-specific channels.

Before this marketing meeting, there has been some discussion /
debate / even argue around some related topics in the Board.  Of
course we would like to make some concrete plan but unfortunately
some volunteer board members who would like to push these things
forward were criticized as poor options for doing so, so eventually
we decide to ask for Italo's expert to write the draft of this
marketing plan and publicly discuss it with the members.

That's useful context for understanding the process to date,
thank you. Delegating to staff, given that context, was not a way of
escaping those contentious issues however -- it just deferred them.
The scope of the plan is so broad, touching so many core strategy
questions, that no staff could act independently in deciding content.

Drafting a 5 year marketing plan following indecisiveness
from the board is a job for a diplomat, not a marketer.
Guessing and compromising the needs of board members is a recipe
for /strategy by exclusion/ -- "exclude anything contentious".
"Exclude anything that will cause delay".

As it stands the Marketing Plan seems more like a political project
serving primarily internal needs of alignment of board members, with
TDF staff serving the role of peacemaker. I can understand that such
a project is extremely important in its own right. Hence I propose
separating that part from the purely marketing related components.
Becuase the thing is: marketing is also important, and a 5
year marketing plan will outlive this board, and hopefully these
divisions.

Fundamentally marketing is about value: creating and delivering
value for LibreOffice users. This is core to TDF's mission. And
its bloody hard. So trying to plan 5 years in a way which stands
a hope of delivering more than the miniumum amount of value to the
world from the incredible technical and community resources which
TDF posesses will be hard enough even if we are all aligned (board,
teams, volunteers), focused, and invested. In my view, right now,
we are none of these things.

If the process and document cannot be redirected in the short term,
as may be the case for various reasons, then at least
let's not continue pretending that the Plan, as it stands, is
primarily about marketing, or for LibreOffice marketers. Let's call
it what it is: an internal alignment document for the board,
commissioned by the board, because they could not agree on it by
themselves.

When the board wants the focus to really be on marketing, then
they can say what is in scope and what is outside of it - if
what remains is very narrow, then so be it. At least the marketing
decisions can be pursued with a clear and undistracted focus.
As a member of the marketing team, for me this would be a more
motiviating and frankly fairer proposition.

[...] That is one important reason why we make the board meeting
more public [...] The only thing I insist when trying to make as many
 people as possible to show their opinions is that everyone should
respect other people, and their different thoughts and comments.

[...] I'm happy to see that more community members showed their
comments and thoughts.

Me too, though there was very little input from the marketing team
on the marketing list, and achieving more requires more than just
transparency, though that's an important foundation.

The Board's responsibility is to make it a workable and concrete plan
so maybe not all the thoughts from the community will be taken; but
at least I hope that the community members can see the changes of the
board we're doing hard -- the board is trying to be more open,
friendly, and get closer to our community friends.

Those are admirable and necessary goals, and I respect your pursuit of
them. There is no conflict between achieving those goals, and also improving
the process and output of the marketing plan under discussion, and future
plans like it. And so I shall continue pushing for that, and not view
the pursuit of other reforms in as an excuse for desisting.

Governance is hard; I hope this is helping.

Sam.