Re: [board-discuss] Involvement of the board in the Marketing Plan

Hi Sam,

On 26/06/2020 17:32, Sam Tuke wrote:
It seems like only one member of the current Board of Directors was
present in that meeting (though there may have been some who stayed
silent; please correct me).

        Interestingly the slides were also posted here a week ago, and
discussed in a public board meeting last week too (IIRC). Then again -
the link disappearing is annoying; but IIRC we have no E-mail
attachments on-list.

        Clearly, we're soliciting feedback and eager to get input from the
whole community.

If input into the plan from the marketing team is desirable to the
Board, then we as marketing team members need a clearer understanding
of how that should be provided.

        So - here is a good place to suggest things of course.

I do not take it for granted that this information was shared with
the team prior to adoption (though to gain support from the team it
seems like a sensible move).

        =) this has been quite widely shared; but we can always do more to
communicate better; clearly.

The strain on this coordination is plainly visible in the plan
itself, on the "preface" slides explaining eg the LibreOffice Online
situation. It's a problem when a staff member is forced to hint that
some topics are out of bounds in this way because they are stuck
between "a rock and hard place" and must resort to such things to
discourage input on controversial issues which can have no effect.

        Hmm? I don't know that anyone is forced to hint anything. And your
input is welcome of course on all related topics.

        The problem space here is a large & really complex one where Marketing
plays a vital role - many people coming fresh to the problem-space badly
need a primer to help understand the interlocking opportunities &
pitfalls, so it seems sensible to have a detailed proposal to kick
around; of course improving it, or presenting another proposal is
perfectly possible.

The current draft plan is broad in scope,
covering community management, branding, and touching on ecosystem
design. Tough topics could be split into other sections, or strategy
documents if necessary, freeing the marketing team with more room to
influence the narrower, purely marketing topics which remain.

        We can come up with a better process of course; but I'm more interested
in your (and other) concrete suggestions / or new proposals to make
things better - so things can be improved.

        You had some good ideas around KPIs AFAIR, which I imagine will turn up
in the next iteration; but I'm personally eager for more.

        ATB,

                Michael.