The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2020-03-13
Session chair: Lothar Becker
Keeper of the minutes: Stephan Ficht
In the meeting: Sophie, Stephan, Nicolas (Deputy), Ilmari, Cor (Board),
Florian (ED), Lothar (Chair), Emiliano Vavassori (Board), Drew, Michael
Weghorn, Franklin (Deputy Chair), Uwe, Michael (Board), Thorsten
(Board), Paolo (Deputy), Daniel (Board), Kendy, Gabriele, William, Sam Tuke
Chairman of the Board is in the meeting. One of the Chairman or Deputy
Chairman is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.
The Board of Directors at time of the call consists of 7 seat holders
without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of
the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 7 Board of
Directors members are attending the call.
The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in
the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and
invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.
The meeting is quorate and invitation happened in time. From now on,
motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those
remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.
The meeting commences at 13:01 Berlin time.
1. Q&A: Answering Questions from the community (Lothar and Franklin,
max. 20 minutes)
Rationale: Provide an opportunity for the community to ask questions
to the new board and about TDF.
* Lothar explains document is in the works, needs some more time,
ask everyone to be patient
* was announced via mail, document will be brought out when it's ready
- Uwe: problematic situation on TDC, what happend?
- Lothar: further questions arrived that can change answers, so
decided not to bring it out
- Uwe: quite vague
- Lothar: shall we use another platform?
- Michael: jitsi is great, other things cost money, hangouts limit at 10
- Emiliano: official jitsi servers/bandwidth has been powered in the
last days, still the platform is now overcrowded
- Florian: Jitsi overcrowded
- Thorsten: keep on going agenda
- Lothar: head on with agenda...
2. Finalizing and publishing the FOSDEM goals (Lothar, Franklin 10min)
Tooling -> Nicolas
- Lothar: what has done for FOSDEM goals (and sub-goals)?
- Thorsten: plan was to bring them into form and publish these,
these were agreed on at FOSDEM
- Franklin: Nicolas was looking into tooling, latest proposal was to
use Redmine, sounds like a good idea to Franklin
- Thorsten: sounded like consensus here, let's get on with it
Rational: clarifying todos, timeline
Proposal: reread and cluster FOSDEM goals for publishing, Blog about
Goals in the next 14 days, instantiation of a tracking tool for the goals
* Key goals from FOSDEM
1. streamline tendering process in 24 months
1.1 two more tenders signed in 6 months
1.2 two more tenders delivered in 1 year
1.3 need to plan more spending for tax office.
2. grow the pool of code committers.
2.1 hire an effective & skilled development mentor.
3. grow non-coding community
3.1 encourage Italo, Mike, Heiko, Sophie,
Olivier, Xisco, Ilmari to grow community
4. have 5 community bonding / hackfest events before 2022
where coders & non-coders meet, ESC events.
4.1 have these in significant geographies
5. marketing must emphasise project over product
5.1 focused on new / younger contributors
5.2 more creative / pro-active marketing
+ emphasising our unique strengths.
5.3 find & turn USPs into nice stories about
5.4 encourage OpenOffice users to join us pro-actively.
6. Ask team to evaluate new tooling and
involve the community in the discussion.
6.1 team to present workshop at LibOCon 2020
6.2 decision yes/no/where to go by LibOCon 2021
7. create campus programme for student ambassadors
to attract contributors
7.1 write programme description by end of February
7.2 pilot & move to goal of finding 5 students by April
for six month evaluation appointments
7.3 re-evaluate wrt. scaling this up by libocon 2020
8. Enable the creation of an effective TDC organization
8.1 complete negotiation of TM agreement by May
8.2 align marketing with TDC
[ note renumbered from conflict with campus amabassadors]
3. Take over Document Freedom Day campaign by TDF (Franklin, 10min)
Rational: discuss take over, checking about consensus to do, next
steps (vote via email?)
- Lothar: asked to explain
- Franklin: when raised this topic was urgent. Actually takes place
last Wednesday of March (March 26).
- Franklin: no one takes care of the website. DFD is an important
part and mission of TDF. Proposal is to take control over DFD, belongs
to FSFE. Proposal is TDF to take control over the campaign.
- lead and encourage more communities to celebrate events about
document freedom, collect their events and have a report of that
- was discussed in the marketing meeting, people supportive
- for this year just post a blog about DFD to encourage others
- contact FSFE wrt. DFD domain, so from next year on we can actively
run a campaign
- also mentions ODF Advoacy project
- TDF in a good position to have such a campaign
- Gabriele: last year looked like this thing is likely forgotten,
this year due to Corona likely no events anyways, take care of in the future
- Sophie: agrees, important event
- Lothar: prepare to do it next year
- Gabriele: prepare internal presentation
- Sam Tuke: I think SFI have complete control in recent years, not
fsfe. Not sure about the domain specifically. Also as ex campaign
manager of DFD years ago let me know if I can advise on anything in future
- Lothar: bring all together to prepare for next near
4. Status quo about Pending Actions (Lothar 5min)
A.2020-01-30.NC get an estimate on template creation cost
A.2020-01-30.MM get an estimate on template code work
A.2020-01-30.TB setup ESC call/discussion on OOXML improvement
A.2020-01-30.FE estimate costs of Campus Ambassador programme
Update bank warrants -> Florian [waiting for Berlin representation
Rational: clarifying todos, timeline
-Nicolas: main idea is to start project to create shiny and high
-Lothar: have to end private call because of Jitsi issues...; sorry
for the bad connection and the issues, will look into fixing this
problem for the next call
Public part ends 13:29 Berlin time.
Florian Effenberger, Executive Director (Geschäftsführer)
Tel: +49 30 5557992-50 | Mail: email@example.com
The Document Foundation, Kurfürstendamm 188, 10707 Berlin, DE
Gemeinnützige rechtsfähige Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Legal details: https://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint
To unsubscribe e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/board-discuss/
- [board-discuss] Board of Directors Meeting 2020-03-13 · Florian Effenberger
Impressum (Legal Info)
: Unless otherwise specified, all text and images
on this website are licensed under the
Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
This does not include the source code of LibreOffice, which is
licensed under the Mozilla Public License (MPLv2
"LibreOffice" and "The Document Foundation" are
registered trademarks of their corresponding registered owners or are
in actual use as trademarks in one or more countries. Their respective
logos and icons are also subject to international copyright laws. Use
thereof is explained in our trademark policy