Re: [board-discuss] creation of The Document Collective (TDC)

Hi Michael,

Am 07.02.2020 23:09 schrieb Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@collabora.com>:

Hi Dennis,

On 07/02/2020 17:43, Dennis Roczek wrote:
    There are some attractions however to having multiple jurisdictions
involved - we've really appreciated the flexibility that SPI has helped
us with over the years (as an example).

As I do not find the numbers in the already published ledgers: how much
money did The Document Foundation already paid to lawyers ?

So far - exactly zero, and exactly zero expenses for setting up TDC so
far. TDF has paid no money to anyone around TDC AFAIK.
After the announcement and for an half year nothing happened regarding legal stuff? So basically
only talking within the committee with no decisions?

Then again -
we've had some friendly pro-bono legal advice, input from the group of
FLOSS foundations, and a sensible group of people have put a lot of time
into meeting and discussing options on constitution, jurisdiction and more.

And how much are they willing (or planning) to do this? Was the
Videolan Community asked how they did handled all these legal stuff?

I've talked to Jean-Baptist a fair bit in the past - I would be
surprised if he had a lot to offer on this topic, and VLC's profile is
rather different from TDF's and TDCs.
How? They have published VLC in every store!

All these legal stuff is not quite
as obvious as it may look at first glance - nevermind getting something
setup, bank accounts opened, articles written and so on.

Incidentally - one of the reasons that things do not get actually done
around TDC (and in other places), is that as soon as consensus appears
to be building [ getting a dozen people to agree on anything complex and
nuanced is a tough process ] then something disruptive comes along to
jam things up. That is really distressing for those wanting to get moving.

The Board agreed to create TDC, it created a committee to do that, the
committee met at some length, then that committee explained where it is
at to a new Board. We're continuing to execute, and I think it's a good
idea to publish an update - as a board we need to cleanup and publish
minutes from our meeting in due course, which I expect to help.

Please be patient; we are currently a few days away from the transition
to a new board which (may) be more decisive and dynamic - I really hope
so - let see.
That might indeed help.

Then again - I love that you are interested & care! =) it has been a
long time since anyone has turned up to a public board meeting,
Which could be a result of tge meeting which is for many Europeans at their working time. ;-(

and/or
asked good questions - which can surely only be a good thing.

ATB,

Michael.
Dennis