Preliminary Results for the 2018 Membership Committee election

Dear members,

with the vote closing last night, we've now processed the results using
OpenSTV, and I'm hereby announcing the preliminary results ready for review.

The number of members that casted their votes is 114, 81 members did
not. The board thanks all candidates for running, and all voters for
their participation!

PRELIMINARY RESULTS:

Candidates are sorted in their order of election preference, after all
preferences have been considered according to the Meek STV method with
Droop-Dynamic-Fractional setting, default threshold.

Elected Members:
* Miklos Vajna
* Gabriele Ponzo
* Klaus-Jürgen Weghorn
* Gustavo Buzzatti Pacheco
* Jona Azizaj

Elected Deputies:
* Dennis Roczek
* Ilmari Lauhakangas
* Muhammet Kara
* Ahmad Haris

AFFILIATION:

The above preliminary results are in conflict with § 8 IV of our
statutes (https://www.documentfoundation.org/statutes.pdf), with both
Miklos and Jona having the same affiliation. The elected candidates and
the board are currently discussing options to resolve this conflict,
which will likely affect the final results. We will update the members
and the general public on this soon.

CONFIRMATION PERIOD:

The detailed results of running OpenSTV can be found at
https://elections.documentfoundation.org/results.php?election_id=10 and
a list of all votes cast is available at
https://elections.documentfoundation.org/votes.php?election_id=10

You can run the calculation yourself using OpenSTV; the machine-readable
votes are at
https://elections.documentfoundation.org/blt.php?election_id=10 and the
preference ordering is achieved by sorting according to the order of
election (from top to bottom, look for 'elected' in the results table).
If there is more than one candidate elected in one step, their actual
voting count determines their rank order.

Any eligible voter may challenge the preliminary results by mailing
elections@documentfoundation.org prior to 2018-09-14, 24:00 CEST/UTC+2:
end of the challenging phase with a detailed explanation of their challenge.

The board encourages every voter to now validate correct entry of their
ballot by comparing the matching row from
https://elections.documentfoundation.org/votes.php?election_id=10 with
your vote - the anonymous token shown to you at the end of the vote
process needs to show up in that list, and the list of names associated
with that token has to match your ballot.

With best regards,

Marina Latini
on behalf of The Document Foundation board of directors

Hi Marina,

The above preliminary results are in conflict with § 8 IV of our
statutes (https://www.documentfoundation.org/statutes.pdf), with both
Miklos and Jona having the same affiliation. The elected candidates and
the board are currently discussing options to resolve this conflict,
which will likely affect the final results. We will update the members
and the general public on this soon.

I talked to Jona and in case we're asked about what is our preference: I
propose me stepping down in favor of her (and me initially
mentoring/helping her in my place if wanted), i.e. I don't accept the above
role.

A concern is now that Stephan and me would finish work in the committee,
noone remains with stronger technical skills, when it comes to
recovering from odd situations with git, gerrit, etc. To cover that, I
plan to stick around (initially) so Jona (or another MC member) is
trained up and doing this -- again, if this kind of help is requested by
the new MC.

Regards,

Miklos

Wherever the rule of "no two members of MC with same affiliation" was stated (can't find it either in the above-linked PDF nor in the HTML version at <https://www.documentfoundation.org/foundation/statutes/> now), does that extend to MC deputies, too? If not, one solution to the "no technicians in the MC" issue could be that Miklos only steps down to deputy level.

Hi Stephan, all,

[...]

the rule is, that only one third of the members of a TDF body had to
have the same affiliation (§ 8 IV S. 2 of the statutes): if there are
five members in a body, two of them would be more than one third.

The deputies of the MC are not elected members of the MC and thus the
one third rule is not valid for them (as long as they are deputies).
Once they replace a MC member (possible only after her/his retirement)
the rule applies to the then new member of the MC too.

If an elected member doesn't accept his role, she/he is completely out.
You could not step some positions back (to get deputy).

Cheers,
Andreas