[DISCUSS] change of travel policy wrt. kilometers driven

Hello,

we have received a request for a travel policy change. As we have done before, let's first have a little bit of time for discussion and clarification, and only then move to the actual vote which I'll announce by a [VOTE] tag in the subject.

The proposal is:

Change our travel policy at https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/Policies/Travel#Personal_Cars to read

Old: "The use of personal cars is permitted, if this is the most economic transportation. Using a personal car in any case needs a signed travel report, including kilometers travelled. TDF will refund 0.30€ per _distance_ kilometer."

New: "The use of personal cars is permitted, if this is the most economic transportation. Using a personal car in any case needs a signed travel report, including kilometers travelled. TDF will refund 0.30€ per _driven_ kilometer.

TDF asks everyone to use the most cost efficient end-to-end means of transport for yourself, team-mates and materials. When cheaper, reasonable public transportation is possible, it should be preferred. If in any doubt please get confirmation before travel."

Change: Pay 0,30 € per _driven_ instead of _distance_ kilometer, effectively doubling the rate. This is in line with the tax regulations, but we ask to use reasonable means of transportation to keep costs low.

Florian

Hi Florian,

I'm in favour of that change, but like to stress that indeed public
transport should be the default, and car travel the exception. The
proposed wording seems to cover that.

Florian Effenberger wrote:

New: "The use of personal cars is permitted, if this is the most economic
transportation. Using a personal car in any case needs a signed travel
report, including kilometers travelled. TDF will refund 0.30€ per _driven_
kilometer.

TDF asks everyone to use the most cost efficient end-to-end means of
transport for yourself, team-mates and materials. When cheaper, reasonable
public transportation is possible, it should be preferred. If in any doubt
please get confirmation before travel."

Perhaps even a bit more explicit: "When cheaper public transportation
is available, it should be preferred. Transporting event materials or
excessive transfer times might be reasons for exemption. If in any
doubt, please get confirmation before travel."

Cheers,

-- Thorsten

Getting confirmation _before_ travel should be the rule not the
exception, to get travel assistance funds.

Norbert

I agree with Norbert.
--Osvaldo

Norbert Thiebaud wrote:

Getting confirmation _before_ travel should be the rule not the
exception, to get travel assistance funds.

It is already -
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/Policies/Travel#Request :wink:

Cheers,

-- Thorsten

Hello,

having received no further questions, I want to put the (changed with Thorsten's feedback) proposal up for voting by the board.

The proposal is:

Change our travel policy at https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/Policies/Travel#Personal_Cars to read

Old: "The use of personal cars is permitted, if this is the most economic transportation. Using a personal car in any case needs a signed travel report, including kilometers travelled. TDF will refund 0.30€ per _distance_ kilometer."

New: "The use of personal cars is permitted, if this is the most economic transportation. Using a personal car in any case needs a signed travel report, including kilometers travelled. TDF will refund 0.30€ per _driven_ kilometer.

TDF asks everyone to use the most cost efficient end-to-end means of transport for yourself, team-mates and materials. When cheaper public transportation is available, it should be preferred. Transporting event materials or excessive transfer times might be reasons for exemption. If in any doubt, please get confirmation before travel."

Florian Effenberger wrote:

[...]

+1

Best,

-- Thorsten

Vote: Yes

Best,
Marina

+1

    Michael.

Im supporting the proposal.

Best, Bjoern

Hello,

so far, I count 3 board member and 1 deputy approval.

This is a reminder to those who haven't voted yet. :wink:
Can you please quickly give your vote, so we can proceed and update the travel policy?

Thanks a lot,

[...]

I support this proposal.

Regards,
Andreas

Sorry, didn’t see a [VOTE] message.

Approved.

S.

Hi,

Old: "The use of personal cars is permitted, if this is the most
economic transportation. Using a personal car in any case needs a signed
travel report, including kilometers travelled. TDF will refund 0.30€ per
_distance_ kilometer."

New: "The use of personal cars is permitted, if this is the most
economic transportation. Using a personal car in any case needs a signed
travel report, including kilometers travelled. TDF will refund 0.30€ per
_driven_ kilometer.

TDF asks everyone to use the most cost efficient end-to-end means of
transport for yourself, team-mates and materials. When cheaper public
transportation is available, it should be preferred. Transporting event
materials or excessive transfer times might be reasons for exemption. If
in any doubt, please get confirmation before travel."

Yes.

Regards,
Kendy