proposal for travel policy changes

Hello,

as discussed during the last board call, I'd like to propose a change of the travel policy, adding the wish for a short written report after each trip. The reason is that the amount of ready-to-use text snippets for the annual report [1] is rather low. Agreeably, we never have asked for that, which is why I want to ask for it now. :slight_smile:

We have lots of items, which is really great, but it's always lots of work to come up with a continuous text to fill the report [2] with all the wonderful things we have been doing. Hearing what happened directly from the community members who attended the events is much better rather than writing it afterwards based on some notes, and if we fill the 2014 report (to be published in 2015, it's too late for the 2013 one, to be published soon) with voices of many community members, we can show the diversity and engagement of our community.

Therefore, I'd like to continue the discussion we had one year ago [3] and propose the following addendum to the travel policy. Being not a friend of overly strict rules, I'd like to first phrase it rather relaxed and not as a binding requirement. Should we see that only a very few people send in trip reports, I would make it a strong and mandatory requirement later on, but let's see how it goes with kindly asking first. :slight_smile: Here's the proposal:

"To illustrate the diversity of the community, and all the projects and event we engage with and participate in, the board strongly encourages everyone applying for a travel refund to send in a short written report along with their request.

A few sentences about the event and your general impression would be wonderful, and ideally you send it in under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/>, so we can use it in our annual report. Feel free to also blog about your impressions and send us a link - in fact, this would be even better, to spread the word already during the year!

Thank you very much for your support, and to everyone who takes the time to send in travel reports about their trip!"

Thoughts? :wink:

Florian

[1] http://pad.documentfoundation.org/p/annualreport

[2] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:TDF2012AnnualReportDE.pdf

[3] http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/board-discuss/msg03210.html

+1

It's much easier to write about a trip just after you've completed it
than a few months later when different events start to all
merge-together in your mind. A blog post is a perfect way to
summarize the experience, and helps to remind everyone about the great
outreach work done by everyone at TDF/LibreOffice.

Cheers,
--R

Hi Florian,

"To illustrate the diversity of the community, and all the projects and event we engage with and participate in, the board strongly encourages everyone applying for a travel refund to send in a short written report along with their request.

A few sentences about the event and your general impression would be wonderful, and ideally you send it in under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/>, so we can use it in our annual report. Feel free to also blog about your impressions and send us a link - in fact, this would be even better, to spread the word already during the year!

Thank you very much for your support, and to everyone who takes the time to send in travel reports about their trip!"

Thoughts? :wink:

Looks great - just one question "send in a short written report." Where would this be sent to? Public/Private/Personal email? Else it looks great. Maybe a couple examples of what we're looking for would be nice.

Best,
Joel

Hi,

Looks great - just one question "send in a short written report." Where
would this be sent to? Public/Private/Personal email? Else it looks
great. Maybe a couple examples of what we're looking for would be nice.

I hid that in "with their request" :slight_smile: The idea is they send the request and the report to treasurer@ - maybe I should emphasize that a bit more?

Florian

Makes a lot of sense to me. +1

Looks great - just one question "send in a short written report." Where
would this be sent to? Public/Private/Personal email? Else it looks
great. Maybe a couple examples of what we're looking for would be nice.

I hid that in "with their request" :slight_smile: The idea is they send the request and the report to treasurer@ - maybe I should emphasize that a bit more?

Ah I see (but I didn't see before :slight_smile: ). I don't think it'd hurt to be a bit more explicit but all in all, I'm sure people will figure it out either way :slight_smile: Thanks for the clarification

Best,
Joel