[board-discuss] Board elections soon - think about your candidates!

Hello,

as announced shortly before the Milan conference, the elections for TDF's next board of directors will soon be officially and formally announced. The membership committee is finalizing the draft and the timeline, but I expect the nomination phase to start within the next one or two weeks, with the board being elected until late this or early next year, and then officially in charge on February 17. In the meantime, during this transition phase, the plan is that the old and the new board work jointly together to make the final transition as easy and as smooth as possible.

This also means that _now_ is the time to think about your favorite candidates, asking them if they would stand, and whether you want to run for the board yourself (self-nomination is explicitly allowed!). Any TDF member as of October 1st [1] is eligible to vote and to be voted into the board.

It's fair enough to say that TDF is in a very good shape these days, with lots of new members, lots of contributions, and a financial basis. This also means that the new board will face new challenges as we will grow further, but at the same time has a lot of chances and options for creating, and I'd like to invite all of you to think if you are a good candidate for shaping TDF's future and defining its strategy during the next two years.

In Milan, we have already talked to many of you about the requirements such a board role has, but for everyone who is interested in details, please feel free to poke any member of the current board at any time, or use the public board-discuss@documentfoundation.org mailing list for asking your questions. (Please do not nominate anyone in public as of now, until the official announcement has been sent.)

That being said, maybe one personal sentence: Being in the board surely is a big responsibility, but I enjoyed my time during the last two years quite a lot - and while it was challenging, it was also an honour to serve the community and fulfill the duty. I really would like to encourage you to stand for the board if you think you're capable of contributing to TDF's future in this body, and I am looking forward to the candidates!

Thanks a lot,
Florian

[1] http://www.documentfoundation.org/foundation/members/