new BoD call time due to daylight saving time

Hello,

in many countries, this Sunday daylight saving time will start again. In order to keep the effective time of the board calls constant, I'd hereby like to have a quick vote. My request is to change the call time from 1600 UTC to 1500 UTC.

The complete request:

The TDF BoD calls will take place every 2nd Wednesday at 1500 UTC, starting on April 3rd, 2013, and are scheduled to run for one hour.

Florian

+1 from my side, of course

may I suggest, to avoid that twice-yearly dance, to set the time based
on CET once and for all.. rather than UTC with 2 adjustment a yer when
CET switch in and out of DST.

Norbert

Hi,

may I suggest, to avoid that twice-yearly dance, to set the time based
on CET once and for all.. rather than UTC with 2 adjustment a yer when
CET switch in and out of DST.

I specifically went for UTC, as I have received many complaints in the past from people who did not clearly know what CET is (particularly from Northern America). I think UTC as reference time fits best, since it's an international standard.

What do others think?

Florian

+1

Hi,

www.google.com CET <enter>

I think UTC as reference time fits best, since it's an
international standard.

Well, the issue here is that UTC, of course, does not have that funky
'daylight-saving' thing... so if you pick UTC then you will have to
ask for a vote like this 2twice a year for the foreseable future...
Note: you can announce the time in UTC but still have an agreement
that the time is _based_ on a CET time... so that you won;t have to do
a vote for a 'change' twice a year.

Norbert

Hi,

www.google.com CET <enter>

I have given up on that for certain things. :wink:

Well, the issue here is that UTC, of course, does not have that funky
'daylight-saving' thing... so if you pick UTC then you will have to
ask for a vote like this 2twice a year for the foreseable future...
Note: you can announce the time in UTC but still have an agreement
that the time is _based_ on a CET time... so that you won;t have to do
a vote for a 'change' twice a year.

As we need to have approved the formal voting for the new time until Wednesday's call, and given it's Easter holidays - how about I simply afterwards make another formal vote, that includes both times, like "from Nov to Mar it's 1600 UTC and from Mar to Nov it's 1500 UTC"? That way, we keep UTC, but avoid voting every 6 months.

Florian

Hi

may I suggest, to avoid that twice-yearly dance, to set the time based
on CET once and for all.. rather than UTC with 2 adjustment a yer when
CET switch in and out of DST.

Norbert

IIRC, the planet has 2 hemispheres divided by the equator.

I know when I have my DST settings, but I almost never know when are the
European DST settings. So either I am -3 hours CET or -5 hours CET with
some weeks at -4 hours CET twice a year.

UTC is very handy, believe me.

Happy Easter

- --
Olivier Hallot
+55-21-8822-8812

Sure I find the whole DST mess stupid to start with...

but... _practically_ the meeting time is adjusted so that it always
occurs at the same CET time. so the announce could be made using UTC
for convenience, but in fact that UTC time has changed and will change
according to the DST setting of CET... so instead of figuring out how
many hours behind 3,4,5 you are from CET, you have to pay attention to
the specific UTC time of the meeting, which will vary up to 2 hours
depending on the specific date of the meeting.

Note:
1/ I re-iterate that the reference time can be a certain CET time, and
yet the announce can contain UTC time for convenience
2/ And the end of the day that was just a suggestion... that I made
because we were running into the same problem with ESC meeting... I
have no strong feeling about it... especially for a meeting that I
rarely attend to start with :slight_smile:

Norbert

Hi,

but..._practically_ the meeting time is adjusted so that it always
occurs at the same CET time. so the announce could be made using UTC
for convenience, but in fact that UTC time has changed and will change
according to the DST setting of CET... so instead of figuring out how
many hours behind 3,4,5 you are from CET, you have to pay attention to
the specific UTC time of the meeting, which will vary up to 2 hours
depending on the specific date of the meeting.

what about my proposal:

We do a vote on having it 1500 UTC during European daylight savings, and 1600 UTC during the European winter months. That way, the reference time is CE(S)T, but we would have UTC as official time, making conversions easier.

Florian

+1

+1

- --
Olivier Hallot
+55-21-8822-8812

Florian Effenberger wrote:

The TDF BoD calls will take place every 2nd Wednesday at 1500 UTC,
starting on April 3rd, 2013, and are scheduled to run for one hour.

+1

Hello,

The Board of Directors at the time of voting consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the vote needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4.

A total of 5 Board of Directors members have participated in the vote.
The vote is quorate.

A quorum could be reached with a simple majority of 3 votes.

Result of vote: 5 approvals, 0 neutral, 0 disapprovals.
Decision: The request has been accepted.

This message is to be archived by the BoD members and their deputies.

just a short reminder: Our call will be in five hours and ten minutes. Hope that avoids confusion. :wink:

Florian