Re: [board-discuss] LibreOffice Swag/Merchandise Bulk Purchase?

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Tom Davies <tomdavies04@yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

Hi :)
That 40 sounds bizzare.  Some have already claimed more than that on
travel without being even slightly dishonourable.  Far from it in fact,
they seem to have gone to extraordinary pains to keep costs down and i
really can't imagine people in other organisations going that far.  It's an
unworkable amount and must have some provisions to allow for reality?!!?

Surely the normal way would be for TDF to buy in bulk, obtaining a massive
discount due to that, and then sell on to individuals or groups at more
than TDF paid per item.  Groups often do that sort of thing so that
individuals pay less than they would have to if they bought the single item
for themselves.  The group gets a tiny profit and hopefully enough to cover
any losses for items that go unsold and wastage, admin, postage, other
overheads with some change left over.  The problem might be at what point
that gets considered "Trading" and whether that is allowed.

I know for sure that European laws are very different from US laws. From my
understanding $0 profit is allowed, meaning even if we can buy in bulk
through TDF, SPI would then purchase the item at a per cost price - even
this is not clear though. At this point we are going to move to SPI and see
if they can fund a small purchase, moving forward hopefully we find a
better solution (might require some legal advice).

I think there is some confusion about "prize" vs. "merchandise" vs. using
"merchandise" as an incentive to join the contest which we are discussing.
I'm not sure if merchandise becomes a prize if it is used in such a
context. Because of these limitations and questions, we'll just go to SPI
and/or Friends of Open Document for funding - it shouldn't be that much for
this particular contest and I've been told that if I purchase out of pocket
I will get a refund from someone.

Best,
Joel

--