FTP space for LibreOffice Server Install GUI

Thanks for helping out. If you have any question, don’t hesitate and ask as

I am subscribed to this ML…

The first question would be: what is the license ? I looked in the
repo on github but did not see any information regarding any licensing
regime.

Currently it is in a subfolder → Will be changed with next commit:
https://github.com/reisi007/LibreOffice_Server_Installation_GUI/blob/master/doc/LICENCE

Norbert

Liebe Grüße, / Yours,
Florian Reisinger

Hi Florian,

> Thanks for helping out. If you have any question, don't hesitate and ask as
> I am subscribed to this ML..

The first question would be: what is the license ? I looked in the
repo on github but did not see any information regarding any licensing
regime.

  Clearly there are some attractions to having uniform licensing / git
hosting / translation tooling / release process etc. for everything we
create.

  It seems as if you have a nice solution in the extensions repository
though for this already ? is this problem-solved :slight_smile:

  All the best,

    Michael.

Hi Michael, all,

Hi Florian,

Thanks for helping out. If you have any question, don't hesitate and ask as
I am subscribed to this ML..

The first question would be: what is the license ? I looked in the
repo on github but did not see any information regarding any licensing
regime.

   Clearly there are some attractions to having uniform licensing / git
hosting / translation tooling / release process etc. for everything we
create.

I, to be honest, said nothing about Git repo and translation tooling.
The release process is quite different: Heavy feature between LibO
releases, compatibility problems at beta1 up to the final release.
Translation tooling: As I am using C# I am using (Microsoft's) system
to do all the translation, it would not make too much sense to change
that....

   It seems as if you have a nice solution in the extensions repository
though for this already ? is this problem-solved :slight_smile:

No, this provides only a installer, which downloads the necessary files via FTP.

Everything works except some people have problems concerning the FTP
server of the free host I am using...

I hope, that you understand, that my only need is a FTP server, so
that everyone can access the program I developed for this
community....

   All the best,

       Michael.

--
michael.meeks@suse.com <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot

Liebe Grüße, / Yours,
Florian Reisinger

Hi,

I hope, that you understand, that my only need is a FTP server, so
that everyone can access the program I developed for this
community....

I think the problem that Michael points out is that when we do so, it will be an official TDF product, thus it needs to follow TDF's workflow.

I would not be overly strict with this, as e.g. we also support the LibreOffice-Box which has quite a different workflow. Plus, personally, I'd like to encourage people like Florian to keep up their good work and engagement!

However, someone has to check Florian's product and see if it fits into TDF.

Any volunteers within the board to do so?

Florian

So, I have not looked into deep details (and I won't since it is in
C#). but on principle it seems to address a useful problem: helping
people do QA more easily on windows
by helping them having multiple version concurrently... iow allowing
them to test a new version without messing with the stable version
they rely upon.

I would not mind hosting the source repo on gerrit... and then we
could poly host the binary on gimli... neither of them are big.
This is not unprecedented, we are doing that for few 'satellite'
pieces already like cppunit and others...
The difference being mostly hosting 'binaries'... which incurs an
extra layer of 'trust'...

So, my personal opinion is, we should encourage and support such
satellite project, whose main aim is to make thing easier for QA
people on windows... and QA is a very important thing, anything we can
do to get more people involved and productive there is a 'good thing'

Norbert

Florian Reisinger wrote:

So I am asking for TDF webspace as a place for releasing the
program. As the current size is extreamly low, I wouldn't need more
than 50 -70 M to keep ~30-50 version of the program itself + some
auto-generated files by VisualStudio.

Hi Florian,

appears folks are generally happy with that - though we would like to
ask you to move the git repo over to our gerrit (with some more added
benefits ;)).

Also, please add proper license headers to all source files (if you
are the sole author, you are free to do so). The preferred
LibreOffice license is this:

/* -*- Mode: C++; tab-width: 4; indent-tabs-mode: nil; c-basic-offset: 4 -*- */
/*
* This file is part of the LibreOffice project.
*
* This Source Code Form is subject to the terms of the Mozilla Public
* License, v. 2.0. If a copy of the MPL was not distributed with this
* file, You can obtain one at http://mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/.
*/

<your sourcecode>

/* vim:set shiftwidth=4 softtabstop=4 expandtab: */

(adjust comment style to file type in question, of course).

Beyond that - seems you're doing great stuff there, thanks for all
that work! :slight_smile:

Cheers,

-- Thorsten

Florian

1/ I need you to register to gerrit.libreoffice.org and send me the
email you used to register (so I can give you proper ACL on the new
repo)
2/ Can you pick a repo name that is not insanely long..
LibreOffice_Server_Installation_GUI is really too long for confort.
losig.git maybe ?

to give you an idea here are the kind of repo names we have so far

binfilter
buildbot
core
cppunit
dev-tools
dictionaries
gerrit-etc
help
libcdr
libexttextcat
libmspub
libvisio
mcm-database
original-artwork
sdk-examples
templates
test-files
translations
voting

Norbert

Hi,

[...]

Florian

1/ I need you to register to gerrit.libreoffice.org and send me the
email you used to register (so I can give you proper ACL on the new
repo)

It's the same I am mailing you now...

2/ Can you pick a repo name that is not insanely long..
LibreOffice_Server_Installation_GUI is really too long for confort.
losig.git maybe ?

"SI-GUI" maybe???
PS: A step by step GUI to Git...
BTW: Would it be possible to stay at GitHub (I still don't know, whether I wiuld get the new system...). I would not be afraid, if I had a super tutor at hand :).

Florian Reisinger wrote:

PS: A step by step GUI to Git...
BTW: Would it be possible to stay at GitHub (I still don't know,
whether I wiuld get the new system...). I would not be afraid, if I
had a super tutor at hand :).

Don't worry, it is just a lot of sugar on top of git. Pushing and
working locally stays exactly the same. If you should ever hit a bump,
there are ~80 people in #libreoffice-dev, many of them able to help
you out. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

-- Thorsten

Adding headers etc. is fine... but the project is already licensed
under LGPLv3 which is fine for the purpose.
( https://github.com/reisi007/LibreOffice_Server_Installation_GUI/blob/master/doc/LICENCE
)
So I don't think there should be a requirement of re-licensing here.

Norbert

Norbert Thiebaud wrote:

Adding headers etc. is fine... but the project is already licensed
under LGPLv3 which is fine for the purpose.
( https://github.com/reisi007/LibreOffice_Server_Installation_GUI/blob/master/doc/LICENCE
)
So I don't think there should be a requirement of re-licensing here.

Right, my bad - missed that detail last night. So yes, please just
stick existing project license into all source / make / project
files.

Kind regards,

-- Thorsten

Hi,
[...]

"SI-GUI" maybe??

Do I have the rights to do "git push" IMHO not...

4 days ago I asked you:
"
1/ I need you to register to gerrit.libreoffice.org and send me the
email you used to register (so I can give you proper ACL on the new
repo)
"

I have no received such information, so I can not possibly assign
'rights' until I know which user to assign it too.

Norbert

Hi,

I continue to work at gerrit. I just wanted to ask, when I am able to
re-publish my program? (In other words: When I am able to publish @TDF
FTP?)

Liebe Grüße, / Yours,
Florian Reisinger

Hi,

I continue to work at gerrit. I just wanted to ask, when I am able to
re-publish my program? (In other words: When I am able to publish @TDF
FTP?)

if I understood Norbert right, the plan is to host it inside our git repository?

Florian

Sure, but the build artifact need to be uploaded... most likely in
gimli somewhere...

Florain (Reisinger)
what does it take to build your project ? can out make a cygwin-based
shell scrip to run a build ? (ideally stored in the porject itself)
in that case I could have one of the tinderbox to build the project on
occasion and upload the binary artefact somewhere... the 'same' way we
do daily build of lo.

It may be possible to set-up something so that you could trigger that
from gerrit itself... or even maybe using jenkins and a windows (VM)
slave... david may have an idea about that, since he is developing
gerrit buildbot-plugin that way... (well, except for the windows part)

Norbert

I continue to work at gerrit. I just wanted to ask, when I am able to
re-publish my program? (In other words: When I am able to publish @TDF
FTP?)

if I understood Norbert right, the plan is to host it inside our git
repository?

Sure, but the build artifact need to be uploaded... most likely in
gimli somewhere...

Florain (Reisinger)
what does it take to build your project ? can out make a cygwin-based
shell scrip to run a build ? (ideally stored in the porject itself)
in that case I could have one of the tinderbox to build the project on
occasion and upload the binary artefact somewhere... the 'same' way we
do daily build of lo.

I am really sorry, but I don't have the slightest idea how to do that. It might be helpful for you to know what I do to release a new version: Open Visual Studio 2012 for Windows Desktop | Build --> Publish <Productname> | (A wizard opens. I enter the FTP Url I want it to be published -> I enter the download URL -> I agree, that the software should be available online + offline -> Finish
Build starts --> Prompt opens, asking me for FTP username + password --> Waiting a second (till everything is uploaded --> A webpage opens when everything is finished. Everyone using the program get a Update prompt and are able to download it...

It may be possible to set-up something so that you could trigger that
from gerrit itself... or even maybe using jenkins and a windows (VM)
slave... david may have an idea about that, since he is developing
gerrit buildbot-plugin that way... (well, except for the windows part)

IMHO a daily would be non-sense as everyone would be forced to use a daily... (See above)

5 min. to set it up:

1. set up jenkins master or use my (ci.idaia.de) or TDF ci.libreoffice.org on VM4 or wait until Admin-Team create a really production one is created on say VM17.
2. Set up Windows jenkins slave and connect to the jenkins master
     Configuration:
     2.1 create new Job for your Project say FOO and restrict it to be build only on your Windows slave

3. set up jenkins gerrit trigger plugin: https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Gerrit+Trigger
     Confguration:
     3.1 it against our production gerrit to be able to consume stream-event and report verification status back to gerrit.
     3.2 Setup privilegies: it must have ACL for VRFY-1/+1
     3.3 Activate the gerrit-stream event polling on gerrit-project foo, branch master
     3.4 Dispatch the build event to your jenkins project FOO

4. done

See the same infrastructure here: https://ci.idaia.de/job/gerrit-buildbot/
with only one difference:
as Norbert mentioned: i am on java world, i don't need extra slave: the jobs are running on master.

So the only question in the description above:
which Windows Server can we use?

Plan B: we use your own Windows machine as jenkins slave, you can just connect to the mster, and let build it.

David

PS: putting Bjoern on CC, as he maintains his own jenkins master/slave build farm for building LO for Ubuntu.

I am really sorry, but I don't have the slightest idea how to do that.

It would be usefull to investigate... surely there is a way to do
unattended build, even on windows.

It
might be helpful for you to know what I do to release a new version: Open
Visual Studio 2012 for Windows Desktop | Build --> Publish <Productname> |
(A wizard opens. I enter the FTP Url I want it to be published -> I enter
the download URL -> I agree, that the software should be available online +
offline -> Finish
Build starts --> Prompt opens, asking me for FTP username + password -->
Waiting a second (till everything is uploaded --> A webpage opens when
everything is finished. Everyone using the program get a Update prompt and
are able to download it...

There is 2 separate task: building the porduct... and uploading it.
scipting the upload is not too much of a problem...
scripting the build... well it is windows, so who knows...

IMHO a daily would be non-sense as everyone would be forced to use a
daily... (See above)

a daily build does not really mean _daily_ first a buildbot only build
if there is something 'new' and will only upload if it build...
and we can make the buildbot monitor the master branch to do just
plain build (for verification purpose)
and a 'release' branch that will only see new commit when you are
ready to release a new version... which will then be built + uploaded.

The only way to scale, is to automate. so anything that require
someone to sit in front of a screen and click-wait-click-wait-click is
not good.
It may sound not to bad when you have just one small project, with one
platform supported and little change rate... but now imagine dozen of
these, and lo itself that see 50+ commit a day with 4-5 platforms and
typically 2 release branches + master...

Norbert

Hi,

All the investigation I can do:

I am really sorry, but I don't have the slightest idea how to do that.

It would be usefull to investigate... surely there is a way to do
unattended build, even on windows.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms165431(v=vs.110).aspx

Heading "Creating and Building a Basic ClickOnce Application Using MSBuild"....

It
might be helpful for you to know what I do to release a new version: Open
Visual Studio 2012 for Windows Desktop | Build --> Publish <Productname> |
(A wizard opens. I enter the FTP Url I want it to be published -> I enter
the download URL -> I agree, that the software should be available online +
offline -> Finish
Build starts --> Prompt opens, asking me for FTP username + password -->
Waiting a second (till everything is uploaded --> A webpage opens when
everything is finished. Everyone using the program get a Update prompt and
are able to download it...

There is 2 separate task: building the porduct... and uploading it.
scipting the upload is not too much of a problem...

Well IMHO it is.... Remember: It doesn't has a real installer. It downloads the latest version from the web... So it must link to the webpage as a source for downloading, or in other words, you need to change something in the product in order to test, whether it is working....

scripting the build... well it is windows, so who knows...

Link above (Visual Studio needed)

IMHO a daily would be non-sense as everyone would be forced to use a
daily... (See above)

a daily build does not really mean _daily_ first a buildbot only build
if there is something 'new' and will only upload if it build...
and we can make the buildbot monitor the master branch to do just
plain build (for verification purpose)
and a 'release' branch that will only see new commit when you are
ready to release a new version... which will then be built + uploaded.

The only way to scale, is to automate. so anything that require
someone to sit in front of a screen and click-wait-click-wait-click is
not good.

Mmh, not so much to wait. Building in seconds (well it's not so big). If I am ready to release, it will be released within one minute including building and uploading and verifying the upload... (Keep in mind, it is a ClickOnce application, NOT a normal Windows app)

It may sound not to bad when you have just one small project, with one
platform supported and little change rate... but now imagine dozen of
these, and lo itself that see 50+ commit a day with 4-5 platforms and
typically 2 release branches + master...

Well, it is a small project, I totally understand it for bigger projects with a build time over 10 seconds...