Re: [board-discuss] [4.0] Review

Hi Klaus,

On Wed, 2013-02-13 at 12:05 +0100, klaus-jürgen weghorn ol wrote:
Hi to all board members,
as 4.0.0 is rolled out there should be a review about what happened:

The good points, the bad points
What can we do in the same way, what in a better way the next time?
What is needed to get it better?
A discussion may cause some budget thoughts, community handling,
marketing concepts, Whiteboards, Easy Hacks etc.

        We will certainly do a retrospective like this from an engineering
perspective in the ESC call tomorrow - clearly there were several
lessons we already learned from this release, but getting these better
tied together would be a useful plan.

        Sophie was coming up with a better timeline / set of deadlines for the
marketing / organisational things around the release put together which
(I hope) would help improve communication between teams and general
timeliness. Failing that - having a developers in the marketing calls
earlier would be helpful I think.

        Discovering a load of un-translated strings very very late in the day
(from the .ui files) was another late-discovered, one-off problem
impacting translation completeness - ultimately the software is built by
humans so there will always be some problems: so far my impression is
that the release has rather reasonable quality for a .0 release - with
few-to-no catastrophic / brown-paper-bag type bugs: which is good.
Hopefully unit testing is helping with that.

        HTH,

                Michael.