Re: [board-discuss] Re: 2013 budget draft - TDF Budget as of 2013-01-14

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 6:38 AM, Bjoern Michaelsen <
bjoern.michaelsen@canonical.com> wrote:

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 02:06:19PM +0100, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
The QA netbooks have already been discussed on QA Call. The idea is to
have a
budget for a set of netbooks that we can give publically as prizes to
our most
active QA contributors in QA marathons and triage contests.

A few addition given the discussion:
We will likely lend the netbooks to a set of QA volunteers. And those
machines
are not intended to let our QA volunteers play Starcraft, but to be able to
triage -- possibly on multiple platforms -- without busting their usual
work
machine.

Why only QA? Because QA did organize quite a few events (Bug Hunting
Sessions,
QA Marathons, QA Wochenende) making me confident they have the manpower to
organize this. I did hard work to support Rainer, Joel, Florian and other
get QA rolling over the last year. Once other parts of the project get
there,
the same applies to them -- I am confident at that point they will file
their
own budget requests.

Note also this is an opportunity that presented itself: E.g. for
developers we
cant easily do this as a developer machine for LibreOffice is quite a bit
more
expensive.

Best,

Bjoern

We will be discussing this tomorrow during our QA call if anyone wants to
join. We are still in the early stages of developing the time frame, rules,
etc... for the contest but hope to be done by Beta or RC of 4.1.

As for the other comments, I think the main point is that the BoD is open
to suggestions, feedback and comments from any group within the project.
This being said, QA shouldn't be blamed for developing a clear goal and
strategy to reach this goal and then presenting it to the BoD. At that
point it's the BoD's job to determine if the request is valid. I am almost
positive that this would apply to any group within the project and if the
group could show that they were a) able to manage their request and b) had
a clear goal and plan to achieve it, the BoD would have an open mind to
most proposals. To me this is the foundation of our community.

Best Regards,
Joel

--
*Joel Madero*