Re: [board-discuss] Re: Joining Silicon Sentier

Florian Effenberger wrote:
Is the application of the "BoD § 5 I rule" not for only votes taken when
a quorum is reached? It just seems strange to allow voting like this.

this is the intention of the § 5 rules of procedure. It is designed
that board members who are not active and miss voting, cannot block
the foundation's business.

Hi Marc,

I second Florian here, and since I was the one putting that rule into
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/BoD_rules, let me put some
more rationale behind it. TDF is not like the usual foundation, with
the board living in the same city, or some executive director plus
team sitting in the same office. So far, decision making, even over
trivial amounts, always happens at the board level, and thus requires
a team of seven spread across the world to react timely, mostly on
email. §5 was meant to balance this - the board members trust each
other enough, that we believe a director proposing something and
calling a vote presumably knows what he or she is doing. The rule
simply codifies that, but puts a (IMO reasonable) limit on the
importance level of such-decided items.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten