Re: [board-discuss] Re: 2013 budget draft - TDF Budget as of 2013-01-14

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 01:48:31PM +0100, Florian Effenberger wrote:
QA netbooks (Björn)
I'm Cc'ing those three. We have been working internally on the
budget first, to have some starting point, and those three requests
came in. These requests have not been decided on yet (on purpose, so
the board has no advantage over the public lists), we want to
discuss this here in public, so Olivier, Björn and Charles should
elaborate on the plans. ;-)

The QA netbooks have already been discussed on QA Call. The idea is to have a
budget for a set of netbooks that we can give publically as prizes to our most
active QA contributors in QA marathons and triage contests.

The idea is that this will:
- motivate our current volunteers
- growth our triager community
- allow triagers who have been using one platform only to have a dedicated
  system for dual-boot Windows and Linux without any interruption of their
  daily work
- same for versions

As netbooks for testing and triaging are available now for 200-300EUR this IMHO
something well worth it. There are still some tricky details to work out
and discuss like:
- how to get them to the volunteers without too much extra cost
  (shipping/handing them over at HackFests)
- how to set the rules on 'winning' one of these without making it too complex
  or to easy to game the system

Proposals on how to fix this for the next bug triage contest/QA marathon are
most appreciated of course!

Best,

Bjoern