Re: [board-discuss] Work to be done by TDF officers

Hi Michael, *,

Am 19.09.2012 11:32 schrieb Michael Meeks:
On Tue, 2012-09-18 at 22:10 +0200, Friedrich Strohmaier wrote:

I'm not against having paid officers in general, but they should do meta
tasks, i.e. rather looking for people doing necessary work - for example
by poking sponsors to provide manpower than doing the work themselves.

      I'm not sure this model generally works so well :-) Sponsors are not
lacking tasks of their own and tend to value the ability to direct their
own resources: that's why they pay them. Having said that I think you
capture something really important:

      If we contract anyone it is critical to ensure that they are someone
who works well with, and is a respected part of the community. Currently
we have plenty of people full-time on the code who (I hope) work in that
capacity: they do some of the less sexy work to allow volunteers to do
the bits they love best, they help mentor people and empower them and so
on - presumably that pattern can work elsewhere too ?

Maybe I was not clear: I talk of what *TDF* pays for. I'm happy
community work having done by paid people, paid by external resources as
You describe.

      For example - we're contracting Tollef currently to do some bugzilla
administration around freedesktop: he's the existing sysadmin in that
space, is widely respected and is doing a great job: my hope is that
that is not too controversial a pattern :-)

Who is "we"? SuSE, TDF?

      Aside from that, we have a ton of un-met administrative needs that go
far beyond system administration: you point out one: fund-raising, there
is a lot more detail around the board that requires significant
investments of time to get right - and these tend to fall through the
cracks.

Couldn't agree more! The boards intention though is to contract an
*infrastructure* officer. Btw.: wasn't me pointing out the fund-raising
issue ;o)).

      Anyhow - it's great to hear about the good work you're doing in the
admin team, that sounds really encouraging, and is much appreciated.

Thanks for the flowers! Generously waving the honey spoon is a nice
gesture ;o))

regards

Friedrich
--