Re: [board-discuss] Current state and needs of the admin team (was[DRAFT] Rules of Procedure for the TDF board)

Friedrich Strohmaier wrote:
++++++++++++Citing §8:++++++++++++++++++++
Officers
========

§8. Systems and Administrative Officer
 1. The board will contract, or alternatively hire if more
    economical/practical, resources for professional, secure, and
    timely maintenance of TDF's central IT infrastructure. The board
    acknowledges that TDF's virtual presence and web pages are one of
    its most valuable assets, and thus need attention beyond what can
    reasonably be expected from pure volunteer work.

I can't see where the current admin team - plain volunteer based - did
not cover the above mentioned requirements. Until now all services were
available with reasonable uptime and quality. Please correct me in
case I'm wrong.

Hi Friedrich,

oh, I'm truly sorry if the wording in §8 comes across in a way to
suggest the admin team is not doing their job - amended friendlier
verbiage welcome!

Quite the contrary - the admin team, that includes you, has done the
incredible job of building an infrastructure that reliably serves
millions of downloads and millions of pages to our users. What was
our monthly bandwidth usage again, around 6 TB? ;)

This is no small feat, and we're beyond grateful to you guys. That
said, you would probably agree with me, that subsets of what the
admin team does needs significant time en bloc, daily attention, and
prompt reaction. In a word, it starts to look like a fulltime job -
and of course that person or contractor would be peer among the
admins, at no time I can see the TDF forego its meritocratic
principles.

Ideally, TDF would have the funds to hire any number of people to
fill the gaps that you and others in this thread highlighted - alas,
this is not where we're at so far. So we have to prioritize, and for
me, infrastructure has critical priority - it is an acknowledgement
of your importance, Friedrich. ;)

Cheers,

--
Thorsten Behrens, Director, Deputy Chairman of the Board