Google search for ODF files

Hi everybody,
there is an option in the advanced Google search
(www.google.de/advanced_search) allowing the search of certain
filetypes, i.e. .doc, .xls, .ppt, .pdf etc.. ODF (.odt ...) is not among
them.
Google is in the advisory board of the TDF. We should ask Google to
implement a better search for our preferred file format.
Can I ask the board to consider that ?
If successful we scould inform Apache (AOOi) about these changes in our
common interest.
Mike

Hi Mike,

there is an option in the advanced Google search
(www.google.de/advanced_search) allowing the search of certain
filetypes, i.e. .doc, .xls, .ppt, .pdf etc.. ODF (.odt ...) is not among
them.

  Oh ! sure, but xlsx etc. is not either - that combo box is just out of
date. You can google for 'filetype:odt' easily enough.

Google is in the advisory board of the TDF. We should ask Google to
implement a better search for our preferred file format.
Can I ask the board to consider that ?

  It's an easy ask at our next AB meeting - however, please realise that
Jeremy is in a very, very distant appendage of the giant beast that is
Google from the people maintaining that search page - so the likelihood
of success is rather low. Having said that - we can drop a mail to him
easily enough.

If successful we scould inform Apache (AOOi) about these changes in our
common interest.

  We could market our ability to encourage Google to do XZY thing ? that
doesn't sound like a great idea to me FWIW - Jeremy would poke someone
to have it fixed as a friend - I don't think a "formal request / big
deal" would do us any favours there.

  So - what do you want; results or PR ? if results, I can poke Jeremy,
if PR - we need to do it a different way I think.

  ATB,

    Michael.

Hi Jeremy,

> there is an option in the advanced Google search
> (www.google.de/advanced_search) allowing the search of certain
> filetypes, i.e. .doc, .xls, .ppt, .pdf etc.. ODF (.odt ...) is not among
> them.

  There is some interest in the Google advanced search functionality:
  http://www.google.com/advanced_search

  Which works really well for lots of file-types when you search
manually: filetype:odt eg. But there is a rather limited set of
extensions available pre-canned in the drop-down (mostly the legacy
Microsoft binary files) :slight_smile:

  Any chance of a poke to the search piece of Google to ask for some ODF
filters (.odt, .ods, .odp, .odg) would do ? (it looks like it needs
updating anyhow).

  CCing the public board list (FWIW).

  Thanks ! :slight_smile:

    Michael.