Re: [board-discuss] Google search for ODF files

Hi Mike,

On Sat, 2012-07-07 at 11:38 +0200, mike schinagl wrote:
there is an option in the advanced Google search
(www.google.de/advanced_search) allowing the search of certain
filetypes, i.e. .doc, .xls, .ppt, .pdf etc.. ODF (.odt ...) is not among
them.

        Oh ! sure, but xlsx etc. is not either - that combo box is just out of
date. You can google for 'filetype:odt' easily enough.

Google is in the advisory board of the TDF. We should ask Google to
implement a better search for our preferred file format.
Can I ask the board to consider that ?

        It's an easy ask at our next AB meeting - however, please realise that
Jeremy is in a very, very distant appendage of the giant beast that is
Google from the people maintaining that search page - so the likelihood
of success is rather low. Having said that - we can drop a mail to him
easily enough.

If successful we scould inform Apache (AOOi) about these changes in our
common interest.

        We could market our ability to encourage Google to do XZY thing ? that
doesn't sound like a great idea to me FWIW - Jeremy would poke someone
to have it fixed as a friend - I don't think a "formal request / big
deal" would do us any favours there.

        So - what do you want; results or PR ? if results, I can poke Jeremy,
if PR - we need to do it a different way I think.

        ATB,

                Michael.