Re: [board-discuss] membership application/language and supporters

Hi All,

2012/5/31 Florian Effenberger <floeff@documentfoundation.org>

Hi Norbert,

Norbert Thiebaud wrote on 2012-05-30 17:37:

 Just to be clear: It is not my position that we should be "excluding
people who contribute to the success of LibreOffice and the foundation,
"just" because they don't speak English."

oh, no, don't get me wrong - didn't want to put words in your mouths. :-)
Just summed things up, exaggerating a bit, to make my point clear.

 But, as far as communication with the MC, for membership purpose, I do
not want to put the burden on the MC to find translator to be able to
handle request in any languages.

I see it similar - the main and primary language of the MC, for internal
as well as external communication should be English, and it's not the MC's
duty to find translators. Of course, looking at the current composition of
the MC, we have members inside who speak German, Dutch and French at least,
so if they would volunteer to act as gateway, that would be appreciated. Of
course, I know you all are busy as many active TDF members, so getting in
externals for that task is also worthwile.

If the MC need help to translation, I think I can help, 'cause I have
knowledge in some languages. I already had offered my help in another
situation and I offer again, if the MC wishes.

Best,

David

I would suggest that the burden to find such proxy is on the applicant...
and that is actually an exhibit of proper interaction with the community.

Agreed.

 I think practically, we can do it similar to the statutes. The "official"
form and rules are in English, but for convenience, we can provide
localized versions, given we find volunteers to translate them. The
"binding" variants, however, should solely be the English ones then (except
for legal texts, but that's another topic I don't want to touch here...).

Agreed, but without exception :-)

:-)

Florian Effenberger, Chairman of the Board